Seventeen

Frank

I had never met such a beautiful girl in my entire life. Her eyes were pure gold, her curly hair framing her small, caramel face like curtains. Her smile was adorable, and it made my heart do flips each time I saw it. She was a full foot shorter than me, so I slowed down a bit so she wouldn't have to work to keep up. Her dog, who was obviously very pregnant, was louder than either of us combined as we walked down the street towards the small park at the end of the neighborhood, two streets over.

I had been to the park several times before Hazel arrived. It was just a playground and a large pond, with a forest behind it and a concrete trail looping around it. I stayed there during the summer, after my grandmother dismissed me from my chores and extra school for the day. I was hoping to show Hazel the treehouse I had discovered.

When she offered to help me with English and my essays, I felt like a thousand arrows pierced my heart. This girl was not only beautiful and adorable, but kind as well.

She was perfect.

And she was my friend.

The Aussie Kai was panting by the time we arrived at the small neighborhood park, but she still tugged on her leash to smell the entire square footage of her surrounding as we walked loops on the hiking trail around the playground and pond. I kept eyeing the forest where the treehouse was, but I didn't bring it up. Hazel talked about her new school and the friends she had made. When she mentioned the name of a boy, Leo, I clenched my fist slightly and looked at the ground.

Jealousy.

I was no stranger to the feeling, but it had never burned through my mind and heart like this before. Was Hazel in love with Leo? Would he make a move before I had the courage to ask her out?

Why was I thinking this? I barely knew her.

What was her favorite color? I glanced at her outfit, a white blouse with golden polka dots, a purple and black plaid skirt, and purple shoes. Her hair was pulled back by a purple scrunchie. I guessed the obvious.

Her favorite animal? I wanted so badly to ask. I was about to form the question when she answered it for me.

"Ooh, look at that horse!" She cried out, suddenly grabbing my arm to get my attention. She bounced and pointed across the pond as a saddled horse and rider trotted out of the hiking trail in the forest. The horse was a dark bay, his mane waving in the wind. Hazel squealed and waved at the horse. "Frank, do you see it? Do you see the horse? Oh, I just LOVE horses. They're my favorite animals. I've always wanted one..." She frowned now and dropped her hand from my arm.

"Sorry, I just got really excited. I adore horses."

I smiled. "I can tell. My favorite animal is a bear."

Hazel looked up at me and smiled. "Oh, really? Have you ever seen one in person?"

"Yes, actually. I came across several small black bears up in Canada. Harmless, really, when you don't bother them. Many people don't understand that."

Hazel smiled mischievously. "Maybe you should write a paper about it. Teach those snobby trust-fund kids at your school that their expensive phones and nice clothes aren't everything in life."

My heart did more flips. She was quite the spirited one.

"Have you ever seen a bear in person?"

She nodded. "Once, at a zoo. The poor thing looked sad and lonely. He just laid on the ground and moped while people snapped pictures. I wanted so badly to cheer him up."

"Maybe he needed a friend."

Hazel looked up again, her golden eyes boring into mine. "Yeah, maybe he did."

We both smiled again, and I felt my cheeks getting red. She blushed and looked away quickly.

I liked the fact she loved animals. I did too. I used to work at a feed store back in Canada, and everyone knew my name. I would load feedbags and stock shelves. On my breaks, I would go into the pet room and cuddle the rabbits and hamsters or talk to the birds. I hoped that one of the three feedstores I applied to here would accept me.

My grandmother insisted on keeping a clean house, and that meant no pets were allowed. I used to have a small gecko friend that lived on the outside of our house, but the arrival of two nesting doves in the apple tree behind my window, he disappeared.

We talked more about animals. Turns out that she had volunteered at a stable back in New Orleans' that a family-friend owned. She knew all the horses by name and could tell you everything about each one.

"I miss those horses. I wonder if a stable nearby would let me volunteer or work for them."

"Are you fourteen yet?" When I had applied for jobs in the area, I came across a local stable that accepted at that age. I couldn't remember the name.

"In December. It's the 17th. I'm super excited!" She bounced again. "I don't know if I'll be having a party, but if I am, you are definitely invited!"

I smiled. Hazel had no idea how happy that made me. It may just be a birthday party for a friend, but this friend was different. This friend was my only friend.

Kai was getting a little less excited about each smell and started moping. Hazel sighed. "Guess it's time to head home. Thank you for wanting to hang out with me."

I walked her home, and my heart fell as her front door closed behind her. I turned around and walked back to my own house, and when I reached my bedroom I collapsed on my bed.

My arm suddenly started hurting, as if someone had pinched me. It was on my bicep, where my soulmate tattoo was. I gasped in pain and pulled my shirt sleeve back.

On the surface of the diamond-shape, there was a new piece of art.

A horseshoe.

Wait.

Does that mean...

My heartbeat escalated as I stared at my soulmate tattoo.

Hazel Levesque was my soulmate.

//AUTHOR'S NOTE//

HA! I didn't forget that I was writing a soulmate fanfic!  I totally did NOT!  

It just didn't cross my mind in the past ten or so chapters.....

Sorry guys.....

~a very sorry Yawarakai~    

:(