Chapter Fifty-Nine: Al, Sunday

Al reached the Port Mann Bridge and sped across as fast as he could without attracting a speeding ticket. One advantage of being in Coquitlam to see his mother today was that he didn't have to start from all the way in downtown Vancouver to get to Aldergrove, so he could shed about half an hour from his commute, but any amount of time would be too long if Lauren was heading into danger and he wasn't with her yet.

Calling Rachel wasn't only the right thing to do, but it would take his mind off his worries. He dialled her on speakerphone and put the phone on the passenger seat.

When she answered, he said, "Hey, honey."

"Did Lauren call you?" Rachel asked.

"She did, in fact. She's currently following a person of interest she spotted talking with Carrie MacDougall at a Denny's in Abbotsford. She said she called you about following her before."

"Oh! Yes. So... did she ask you to go over there?"

He hesitated a moment before saying, "Yes. And I am."

"Good."

Al blinked in surprise. "Really?"

"Yes, Al. You have a car, you were closer than any of us, and she needs assistance. Of course I'd rather have you go there and make sure she's okay than come home to me. We didn't have anything planned tonight anyway."

"Oh. Okay."

"You sound surprised."

He shrugged, even though she couldn't see him. "I guess I am a little."

"Why? She's our friend, she's on her own, and if this person of interest is a man?"

"He is."

"Then her safety could be uncertain."

"We could call Joe instead. He is her husband."

Rachel was silent a moment. "I was given to understand that he may be occupied at the moment. And anyway, he only just recovered from a nasty beating himself."

"Ah. So, you know about Joanie."

"Yes. Lauren told me. I have to admit, she's braver than I am."

"I guess she's placing a big bet on Joe's commitment to her, that he wouldn't leave her for Joanie if she loosened her hold on him a little."

"Yes. She's a gambler, that one. She gambled on an affair with me, didn't she? And Joe's still with her."

"Yes. And I'm still with you."

Silence for a moment. Then Rachel said, "Go make sure she's safe. Then make sure she gets home safe. Then come home to me. Whatever you get up to in the midst of all that, I won't hold against you."

Did she just imply what Al thought she did? "I'll find her, make sure she gets home safe, and then come home to you," he repeated, leaving out the rest.

She was silent another moment before she said. "Okay. That's good enough for me."

"I'll call you as soon as I have an update."

"Okay, Al, thanks. I love you."

"I love you too."

She hung up, and Al redialled Lauren.

"Hey," she said.

"Where are you now?"

"On the Fraser Highway, heading back to Aldergrove."

"Okay. I'm going to take the 264th Street turnoff from Highway One and drive until I connect with the Fraser Highway. Hopefully you won't stray too far from there."