Chapter Fifty: Lauren and Al, Thursday

Lauren was nestled into Rachel on the couch. Al watched them both from the kitchen. He'd completely forgotten the pasta he was making. It just sat in the pan off the heat. Suddenly he didn't feel hungry, even though it was after work and he normally ate at this time. The air felt charged, and he found himself crossing over to the armchair to face them, suddenly weak in the knees. Lauren had come here for another reason. He could tell from the way she was working herself up to say something else.

Lauren looked at him for a long moment. Then she looked at Rachel. "I told Joe something too," she said.

Rachel paled. "What did you tell him?"

"I told him about you and me."

Rachel gasped and looked at Al.

"I know too," he said. "I pretty much suspected it since you first admitted to me you were still attracted to her, but Lauren confessed to me on Sunday, while we were looking for you."

Rachel's mouth fell open in disbelief. "And you never said anything since I came back?"

He reared back. "I'm sorry, are you angry with me? Should I have confronted you about it, asked for a divorce maybe?"

Rachel shrank a little. "No, I'm just... amazed you haven't been angry at me."

Al shrugged. "We all had things we were afraid to admit to each other. Maybe it's good Lauren finally said something. Now we're all out in the open."

"And you're okay with this? Me and Lauren?"

Al looked at Lauren's hopeful eyes and said, "Lauren and I came to an understanding. As long as you don't leave me for her, I won't ask you to stop."

"Joe and I came to the same arrangement," Lauren said.

"I can't believe that," Rachel said. "Joe doesn't seem to be the sharing type."

"Well, he can't be too judgemental, can he? With what the two of you did?" Lauren looked away for a second, and Al wondered if there was something she wasn't telling them.

"The important thing is, you don't need to hide it from me anymore," Al said.

"Well, I guess that's a relief," Rachel said uncertainly, "but there was a thrill in the possibility of getting caught."

"So, it's not worth it anymore?" Lauren protested.

"No," Rachel said, chuckling. "Of course it is."

"Good." Lauren turned her head up to look at Rachel. Rachel looked down at her. Lauren kissed her. Rachel's eyes widened. She reared back and sent a panicked glance at Al.

"Do you not want to do this now?" Lauren asked breathily, kissing her neck.

"I don't know..." Rachel looked to Al.

Al nodded assent, suddenly excited that he might finally get to see them together.

Rachel's face softened, and she took Lauren's face in her hands and brought her lips to hers. As they kissed, Rachel kept glancing at Al as if to ask him if what they were doing was all right. He watched them, feeling slightly out of body.

Lauren moved to straddle her on the couch, and their kissing intensified as their hands moved over each other. Their breathing grew heavier. Al felt his heart speed up.

Lauren stood and pulled Rachel to standing. She looked in her eyes, panting, and tilted her head toward the bedroom. Rachel nodded, and then they both looked his way.

He nodded his blessing.

Then they both looked at each other. "Can he watch?" Rachel asked her. Lauren nodded, and then they beckoned him, and walked hand in hand to the bedroom.