Chapter Eleven: Lauren, Spring, 1981

"I love you," Rachel whispered in Lauren's ear so the boys wouldn't hear. "I fucking love you."

Lauren laughed at the obscenity even as she felt her heart flutter. She thought she would cry again. She wanted to kiss her like Al had kissed her, because she thought her lips would taste wonderful, but the boys were right there and she didn't want them to see. She wanted their love to be private like it was in her bedroom that night she'd slept over, when they'd touched each other in wonderful places, and the lingering hugs they shared today, their hands sliding below each other's waists, only reminded her of that night.

"I fucking love you too, Rachel," she said instead. "You better call me every day."

"I need your number. I don't know what my new one is yet."

Lauren pulled a slip of paper from her pocket and shoved it into Rachel's, letting her fingers linger down there long enough for Rachel to gasp before she removed it. "Don't lose that," she said.

The boys wrote their numbers on Rachel's palm. Then Rachel drove away with her family, and just like that she was gone.

This time it was Joe's turn to console her, and his arms were very strong and all enveloping, and he held her as she cried her eyes out. If she didn't have him she didn't know what she'd do, but her world was still collapsing.

"And then there were three," Sunny said. "Man, this sucks."

Lauren looked up at him, sniffed and wiped her nose on Joe's shirt. "I couldn't have put it better myself," she said.

The knock on the door a few weeks later surprised her. She hadn't been expecting anyone today. She'd been settling in for a day of homework and TV when the knock came.

Wondering if maybe it was a visitor for Mom or Dad, she opened the door, and to her utter astonishment, Al stood there.

"Al!" she cried, throwing her arms around him. "Oh my God, it's so good to see you!"

Al squeezed back, hard. "You too, Lauren. Man, I'm glad somebody's here."

"Sorry, no one knew you were coming. We haven't seen you in months!"

He unlocked and wiped a tear from his eye. "Yeah, I know, my mom and dad aren't as willing to make the trip out as often as they used to."

"Are they taking the dogs for a walk again?"

"Yeah, so we have some time to visit if you want."

"Sure, if you don't mind it just being me."

"No, you're my friend, why would I mind?"

"Let's go outside." Lauren grabbed her jacket and they headed back down the stairs. They had a quick look in the direction of Al's old house, demolished now, the land cleared and ready to be graded for the road, and then they walked up the street.

"So where is everyone today?" Al asked.

"Joe's out with his dad getting equipment and seed for planting. Sunny is with his family at a Vaisakhi festival parade."

"Oh. And Rachel?"

She turned to him and said, "You don't know?"

"Know what?"

"She moved away. She's somewhere in Burnaby now."

He stopped and blinked at her for a few seconds. "She moved?"

"Yeah. Her dad got a new job out there, and they managed to buy a place. It was just a few weeks ago."

He seemed to shrink in front of her. "I tried calling her recently, and the operator told me the number was no longer in service. No one answered at her door either. I should have put two and two together."