Chapter Thirteen: Lauren, Summer, 1982

"It was your hair that first attracted me to you," she said as she ran her hands through Joe's auburn waves. "It hypnotized me. I just wanted to bury my face in it."

Joe chuckled in astonishment, still in a state of drunken bliss that had nothing to do with alcohol; indeed, he was entirely sober, as was she; she wanted her head clear to remember this moment for all time, their first time together.

She lay on top of him, her weight barely felt by his enormous body. He'd been big when she'd first met him. A few years of football and weightlifting had made him massive, while she'd barely gained a few inches in height since arriving in Queensborough when she was twelve. His head lay on a pillow formed from their clothes, his body on a blanket he'd brought with him. He'd also brought a picnic basket with sandwiches he'd made, and pop to drink. He'd been so sweet to think of nourishment for their first time, and so nervous he'd been shaking, which had made her even more ravenous for him.

She'd seen pictures of children riding Clydesdale horses bareback, and the comparison was apt to how she'd ridden him. Because of his Catholic upbringing, he wasn't supposed to have sex until he married, and he wouldn't even agree to do other things with her that weren't full-on intercourse, because that still counted in his mind. The closest they'd come to up to that point was some heavy petting where he'd let her grab him through his pants, and that was all the forewarning she'd gotten of what she would encounter when she finally let that beast loose. So, when he finally couldn't wait any longer, and no amount of prayer was going to make him strong enough to resist, and after she'd gone with her mom to the doctor to get the prescription she needed, they'd finally set the date and Joe had found the secluded place. And when she'd whipped it out and had her hands on it at last, he'd ejaculated before getting it anywhere near her.

Luckily, they were teenagers, and it hadn't taken long for him to be ready again, after she'd directed his hands to the parts of her she wanted him to feel, and brought his mouth between her legs, and she'd taken him in her mouth for the first time. "Jesus, Lauren!" he'd said. "If you do that to me any longer I might come again before we can really do it." So, she'd climbed on top of him and slowly, slowly, slowly, filled herself with him, and it had been painful and glorious, and she'd barely moved her hips before he exploded again, and she'd left him inside her while she lay on top of him, satisfied and in love, and his arms had engulfed her and made her feel so safe.

"So, would you say my hair is my best asset?" Joe asked.

She chuckled suggestively and wiggled her hips. "Uh-uh. Your best asset is still inside my best asset."

"Jesus, Lauren, you're so sexy. Where did you learn to do all that?"

"I don't know. I just touch and kiss what I want, and just see what feels good."

"Did I thank you yet?"

"For what?"

"For convincing me not to wait. How did I ever think I could hold out that long?"

She kissed him hard on the mouth. "Oh, Joe, you're still a very good boy. And anyway, we'll get married some day."

"Will we? Because I love you Lauren, and that's what I want."

Her eyes filled with tears.

"Oh! Are you okay?" he asked. "I didn't hurt you, did I?"

She shook her head and kissed him again. "I'm just so happy. This was perfect. And I love you too, so much. And I can't wait to marry you."

"Good. I'm glad. You didn't ask me what first attracted me to you."

She chuckled. "You mean my overalls?"