Chapter Forty-Four: Lauren, Tuesday

When Johnny showed up with the in-laws, Lauren knew she could go, for now, at least. As Joe predicted, the kids were getting antsy, and it was probably a good idea to take them home, feed them dinner and get them ready for school tomorrow, because one day of hooky was fine, but now that Joe was convalescing in a safe place, she couldn't justify keeping them home for another.

"Where were you, Giuseppe? Where you go?" his mother asked him.

Joe sighed and said, "Ah, Ma, what does it matter? I'm back, and that's all that matters."

"You make us worried sick," she scolded. "You daddy can't take it."

Mr. DiTomaso didn't appear too concerned for his son. He seemed too involved with the grandchildren, asking them about school, even though they were with them a good part of the day yesterday. At one point he did ask Joe how he broke his arm. "You get in a fight, Giuseppe?"

Joe chuckled and winced again for his ribs. "Sort of," he said. "Although it was a bit one-sided."

"Jesus, Joe, what happened to you?" Johnny asked.

"Hey!" his mother snapped. "Language!" She was still of the generation that viewed invoking the name of their Saviour in any context other than prayer as blasphemy.

Joe looked at his kids, thought about what to say that wouldn't distress them, and said, "We went to perform an errand, and in the middle of it we got robbed and... hurt a bit." He turned to Lauren. "Babe, we're going to need to contact the credit card companies before they rack up the charges."

"I'll do it when I get home. Honey, I should tell you our van was also stolen."

Joe's puffy eyes widened. "What? How?" They all turned to her in surprise.

"We went to the new construction site last night to look for you," she began.

"The one in Aldergrove?" Johnny asked. Suddenly he looked shifty, as if there was something he wasn't telling her.

She nodded. "We were searching the woods beyond it, and while we were, someone just came up and took it. I don't know how they could have done it."

Joe growled in frustration. "They probably have my key."

"Wait," Johnny said. "So they must have known that van was yours. They must have been watching you go in an out of that van all the time."

"That's a very good point, Johnny," Lauren said, genuinely impressed. "Maybe we can think about who would have been seeing you. That person must have also been the one, or one of many, who robbed you. So, somebody who works for you?"

"No," Joe said, shaking his head stubbornly. "I didn't recognize these guys. And anyway, I know my guys. They wouldn't do this."

"Okay, maybe someone who lives in the area? Maybe... someone who doesn't want that subdivision to go in?"

"It could be whoever's been stealing our materials," Johnny said. "That development has been nothing but trouble since we started."

"Have you two been attending the zoning hearings for the development?" Lauren asked. "Have there been any vocally opposed parties stepping forward?"

"I didn't go," Johnny said. "It's all the way out in Langley, and it's in the evening, and I already don't see my family enough. Anyway, it's the developer bigwigs who usually go to those."

"Maybe we can see the minutes of those meetings and see who is on the record for or against."

"I guess we could apply to the clerk of the Township. But isn't this for the police to do, now? They have the case, right?"