Chapter 13

(Azriel POV)

Azriel watched in silent horror as the girl left, her back completely in view. He wanted to look away from the scarred flesh but couldn't and it was even harder not to look down at his hands.

For him, his hands had always been something shameful, like the fact that he even had them was symbolic of his weakness. But to Aelin, it didn't seem like she thought they made her weak, she wore them proudly, like a warrior who had conquered all evil. He supposed she had, in a way, because the people who did that to her must have hearts and souls made of pure darkness, no light able to shine through.

He looked down at his hands once more, memories filled with darkness, heat, and pain pain PAIN.

"Azriel!" Someone shouted, reminding him of where he was.

Right, he's not there anymore.

Sunlight filled his eyes as he looked up to whoever called him, reminding him once more that he wasn't with his father and brothers anymore.

"Yes?" He asked, unsure of who had called his name. It was Cassian's voice that answered.

"Are you alright?" Azriel only nodded. Cassian seemed unconvinced but nodded back anyway. He knew not to push the issue.

"Do you wanna come inside?" Azriel shook his head and watched as the others retreated inside. He turned back around and began wrapping his hands, covering the burns that marred them. When he was finished, he turned to a punching bag and began going through forms.

POW! POW! POW!

Only the sound of his fist hitting the bag filled the room. He let the sound ground him and continued hitting.

POW! POW! POW!

He focused only on his movements, knowing that if his mind strayed to far, he would be sucked back into his memories. He continued hitting.

POW! POW! POW!

His fist hit the bag one more time before it broke, the fillings spilling out everywhere. Instead of the sound of his fist filling the air, it was now his heavy breathing.

He looked down at the mess once more before going to find something to clean it with.
____________________________________

Hey guys! I'm really sorry it took me this long. I lost motivation for a while before it suddenly came back to me and this chapter  was made.

I hope you enjoyed! I'll try my best to make the next one longer.

See y'a!

:)