•DO WORKS GET YOU TO HEAVEN•

I would just like to start off by saying that our standards of good are completely different from God's. Luke 18:19 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good-except God alone.
We all have the basic understanding that Jesus was perfect. So why would He say "why do you call me good?" Jesus not only came to be our salvation but He also came to lead as an example to man. What He is saying here is that no man is good.
Biblical backup:
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
John 14:16 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
No where do these verses say that being a good person or doing good things gets you to heaven. We are incapable of meeting Gods standard of good.
How do you become saved?
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Romans 10:9-10 Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
Jesus died on the cross. He is our salvation. If you confess with you mouth that Jesus is your savior and repent you will be saved.
Does works have a role in our relationship with God?
James 2:14 )What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?
You may not get to heaven by works but they do have a very important role in your relationship with Christ. In order for us to grow closer to God, we must seek Him and His purpose. Seeking His purpose meaning obeying the Bible. If we allow God to lead us and we show it through our actions we are truly seeking Him. ( Basically to say you are saved and to act like it are different, and to say you will and to actually do it are different.)