•REPENTANCE•

What does repentance mean?:

The word repentance written in greek means "to turn around".

Repentance is not about perfection but rather acknowledging a change in mindset and a change in actions. Rather than living for the world, you would accept Christ as your Lord and savior and along with that your actions naturally start to change. Your mindset regarding sin changes as well. It is to turn back to God!

Why is repentance so important?:

Some people may say that all you need is faith, while that statement is true it is also very misleading. The verse associated with this belief is Romans 10:10 "For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved."

I strongly disagree with that argument and here is why. Repentance and faith go hand in hand. In order for someone to have faith in Christ, they must understand why he died for our sins. Without repentance, you do not truly understand that concept. How can you accept someone as your Lord and savior, if you deny admitting you need saving? If we do not repent"turn around" and away from our sins, we haven't truly acknowledged Him.

Repentance is not needed to make the decision to turn to Christ. We do not need to completely change ourselves before excepting Christ. Christ will change us when we have faith and accept him. Along with the excepting of Faith are the acknowledgment of change and the acknowledgment that you are a sinner who needs to turn their life around.

Do not hold off on turning to Christ because you are trying to clean your life up, or trying to become a better person, or trying to grow, Jesus died for you because you are imperfect. When he died He knew exactly who He was dying for. No matter how much we feel that we can change ourselves, we will never reach his expectation, and will never earn His mercy, ESPECIALLY if we do not have Him in our heart and mind leading our actions. Only through Christ will you find your true identity.

Verses about repentance:

2 Peter 3:9

"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead, he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

2 Chronicles 7:14

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

1 John 1:9

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Acts 3:19

"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord."

Proverbs 28:13

"Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy."

Matthew 3:8

"Produce fruit in keeping with repentance."

Matthew 4:17

"From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near."

There are many more verses regarding repentance these are just a few.