•DEATH PENALTY•

This is a highly controversial topic. I will be covering all sides of this discussion, to ensure that all points of view are taken into consideration.

What is the Death Penalty?: The death penalty is a state punishment for a crime.

Argument Number One:

All life is valuable, and anyone who wrongfully takes it deserves their life taken. They believe that it is a mandate.

Why they believe this:

Genisis 9:6 "Whoever sheds human blood, by humans shall their blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made mankind."

This verse directly shows the value of life and why it is so valuable. It clearly states that if you take a life your life is to be taken. This verse has universal application because it was given before the Mosaic Law.
We also don't this to be stated in Exodus 21, along with several other punishments.

Some may say that those verse do not apply because they are Old Testament. Argument ones refutation is that, even though the New Testament does not clearly stage it, that in Romans 13:1-7, we see it does emphasize the meaning. In this verse we see a direct warning from Paul, regarding consequences of our wrong doings.

Romans 13:1-7
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities,(A) for there is no authority except that which God has established.(B) The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted,(C) and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.(D) 4 For the one in authority is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.(E) 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.(F)

6 This is also why you pay taxes,(G) for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes;(H) if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Argument Number two:

It is believe that in the Bible we are prohibited from taking a life for a life.

Why they believe this:
They believed that because, Israel was a theocracy, that it had a different kind of unique law. They believe that because Israel is Gods Holy nation, the provisions are different and that those commands, directly relate to God's relationship with Israel.
Numbers 35:33 "'Do not pollute the land where you are. Bloodshed pollutes the land,(A) and atonement cannot be made for the land on which blood has been shed, except by the blood of the one who shed it. 34 Do not defile the land(B) where you live and where I dwell,(C) for I, the Lord, dwell among the Israelites.'"
Deuteronomy 21 21 If someone is found slain, lying in a field in the land the Lord your God is giving you to possess, and it is not known who the killer was,(A) 2 your elders and judges shall go out and measure the distance from the body to the neighboring towns. 3 Then the elders of the town nearest the body shall take a heifer that has never been worked and has never worn a yoke(B) 4 and lead it down to a valley that has not been plowed or planted and where there is a flowing stream. There in the valley they are to break the heifer's neck. 5 The Levitical priests shall step forward, for the Lord your God has chosen them to minister and to pronounce blessings(C) in the name of the Lord and to decide all cases of dispute and assault.(D) 6 Then all the elders of the town nearest the body shall wash their hands(E) over the heifer whose neck was broken in the valley, 7 and they shall declare: "Our hands did not shed this blood, nor did our eyes see it done. 8 Accept this atonement for your people Israel, whom you have redeemed, Lord, and do not hold your people guilty of the blood of an innocent person." Then the bloodshed will be atoned for,(F) 9 and you will have purged(G) from yourselves the guilt of shedding innocent blood, since you have done what is right in the eyes of the Lord.

Argument two believe that Gods sacrifice of his son. Took the place of the blood punishment and fulfilled it. We no longer must sacrifice to maintain our humanity, but we must ask for forgiveness.

Hebrews 9:14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit(A) offered himself(B) unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences(C) from acts that lead to death,[a](D) so that we may serve the living God!(E)
Argument Number three:

They believe that the Bible allows capital punishment. They typically see both sides of argument one and two.

Why they believe this;
They believe that do to the Mosaic Law, Genesis 9:6 is limited. They believe that if the crime wasn't purposefully committed, that it should not apply.
The common argument is of the grace shown toward those, in the Bible, who committed capital offenses, but where forgiven.
Examples would be:
-Moses
-David
-The women at the well
-Crain
Another factor in there decision is, the allowance of only those who have not sinned, to take the life of someone who has.

John 8:7 So when they continued asking Him, He lifted Himself up and said unto them, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

They also believe that Romans 13 is the closest verse that discusses capital punishment. The idea comes from the belief that it is not a requirement but is allowed.
Argument Number Four:

Those who believe this argument, say that scripture gives conditions. Personally I lean more toward this.

The verses their arguments based off:
Exodus 21:23-25 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life,(A) 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth,(B) hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

Deuteronomy 17:6 On the testimony of two or three witnesses a person is to be put to death, but no one is to be put to death on the testimony of only one witness.(A)

Numbers 35:30 "If anyone kills a person, the murderer shall be put to death on the (A)evidence of witnesses. But no person shall be put to death on the testimony of one witness.

Numbers 35:22-24 "'But if without enmity someone suddenly pushes another or throws something at them unintentionally(A) 23 or, without seeing them, drops on them a stone heavy enough to kill them, and they die, then since that other person was not an enemy and no harm was intended, 24 the assembly(B) must judge between the accused and the avenger of blood according to these regulations.

Ezekiel 33:11 Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.(A) Turn!(B) Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?'(C)

The reason these verses are so important is because they show the difference in circumstance and heart. They show intent behind behavior, the proportionality, and the reluctance of the situation. They are given as a guide for authority to use, when determining punishment.