1 5 n e e t f i f

| F I F T E E N |

protect

Xiao Zhan knew that sooner or later, he'd have to get used to the 'unusual'. Not like his life had ever actually been anywhere close to the 'usual' but certain things unlike the rest were still a little too difficult.

He was accustomed to rocky beginnings and hell-like ends; heartbreak, pain, and a shitload of emptiness? this meant nothing to the veteran he was but despite it all, hurting was still inevitable.

With the passage of time, he had realized that getting used to something didn't guarantee indifference, getting used to something didn't mean he'd not get hurt, and getting used to something absolutely didn't mean that he was okay, because right now he just wasn't.

He had somewhere come to realize that it might have never been about accepting, it might have never been about welcoming but instead about letting go, about eventually moving on but Xiao Zhan couldn't do it, he just couldn't keep that guy at a distance of being his son's dad, he couldn't just forget, in the end, he couldn't not care.

Yibo lived with him, inside him; as if tormenting even the last remains of himself his heart couldn't even imagine letting go; he wanted to hate him, hate him to the core, gash his flesh apart and devour all of his self but no, he couldn't; far goes hating he couldn't even unlove.

Xiao Zhan's lashes flickered, muddled within his chain of thoughts, he had yet to realize that the elevator doors had already opened, to his right was the Hotel Paradise Banquet Hall, with one hand holding a bouquet and the other being held by his kid he finally fell back to reality thus immediately walking out.

The duo had come over to attend a function, precisely a wedding reception. The man's college director, Mr Wei had recently married his daughter off to an outstanding conglomerate, considering the mutual respect his superior and he himself had for each other there was no reason to refuse, thus despite the slight bit of uneasiness, Xiao Zhan could only comply.

With one hand holding his Papa's, Yian's other was carrying his phone; seeing the kid so engrossed in the gadget, Xiao Zhan lightly shook his head, his voice low, "keep the phone back into your pockets, it's rude to play around at a place like this, be a good boy baby, please"

Yian who was a bit startled warily looked up at the older man before reluctantly stuffing his phone back in. He did feel a bit maligned but since he couldn't explain himself anyways, the kid was wise enough to stop sulking.

Ever since the last time they'd met, as if it were a part of his schedule Yibo without missing a single day would always call at the same time, Yian who was used to this repeated routine would earnestly always wait for the call, and even today his heart was the same, all he wanted was for those familiar numbers to flash up like they always did; maybe just like his Papa, he too was quick to love, just foolishly quick to trust or maybe it was just that, somewhere the kid knew, he knew that his Gege was different, that unlike others, he'd eventually stay.

With the bouquet in hand, Xiao Zhan with his boy finally approached the podium, atop were the newlywed couple and their respective inlaws, the man politely passed his good wishes before walking over to Director Wei.

Seeing them approach, the old man soon broke into one of his rare smiles, he slightly nudged his wife, before speaking, "Xiao Zhan, thank you so much for coming" he paused, eyes halting before Yian, "and you too little boy"

The prof. smiled, he nodded before asking Yian to greet the old couple.

"Must say, your son is just as handsome" Madam Wei grinned.