7 • a date.

i think i'm gonna keep writing in first person for a bit, it's more fun :D
——————————————————————————
tommy would not shut up about ariel all day long. don't get me wrong, i was super happy for him, but was ready to punch a wall the next time i heard her name. as we waited on the curb after lunch, i let him ramble on about her hair for ten. whole. minutes.

"it's so long. i don't know how she even washes it." (her hair was only a few inches longer than my own)"and it's literally golden. not even blonde, it's pure GOLD. and it's not curly, but not straight."

"wavy," i told him in probably a ruder tone than necessary, "that's called wavy." he seemed to take personal offense to this interruption, but i didn't really care. there's only so much gushing one can handle. "tommy, do you even know what you're watching? who's buying? anything?" he didn't need to think about this for long. he'd probably been thinking about it all day.

"i'll buy, obviously. and we can watch whatever she wants to. it'll be fine." i couldn't manage to stay annoyed when he looked so happy. he suddenly pulled out his phone and began typing away.

"who's that going to? ariel?" he didn't answer for a moment, wanting to finish his message before he turned to me.

"toby and wilbur. i totally forgot to tell them, they'll be insane over this." i imagined their loud voices yelling about how tommy's a simp, chick-magnet, etc. i was glad he had such supportive friends.

suddenly hands were around my neck and squeezing. i panicked until i heard beccas loud laugh and she released my neck. "ow becca, jesus." i pretended to be mad but it was hard when she looked so excited.

"tommy. you have a date. you must be prepared. i'll be at your house once your stream ends, y/n can meet us there." she said this as a statement, not waiting for us to confirm if we'd be able to or even wanted to. but we both were able to, and did want to, so we smiled and hopped in her car.

i kept a close eye on tommy's stream, not paying much attention to the actual events of the festival but trying to see when it ended. finally at 6:00 on the dot, it was over, and i pulled on my tennis shoes and started the short walk to his house. when i got there beccas car was already in the driveway, and she was knocking on his door.

"perfect timing!" she called out to me, leaning on tommy's door. i saw tommy's figure through the window, and just as i was about to warn her the door opened and she fell inside with a yelp. laughing my ass off, i hurried to the porch, and saw becca laying flat on top of tommy, who was grumbling and cursing under his breath
——————————————————————————
"so what are we doing here? my makeup?" tommy joked, dramatically fluttering his eyelashes.

"actually we're dying your hair to match beccas," i said with an evil grin and an eye roll from tommy. i turned to becca, because i also didn't really know what we were supposed to be doing.

"no, no," she shook her head, "we're here to prepare you socially. and to put you in something that's not a red and white tshirt." becca had made a habit of criticizing tommy's fashion sense. "this is basically dating bootcamp. we'll give you a scenario and you have to tell us what you would say in that situation." tommy didnt seem very happy about this "bootcamp" he'd been dragged into, but he reluctantly sat down on his desk chair, becca and i sitting on the edge of his bed.

"okay," she began, "so say ariel shows up and looks atrocious. like, absolutely disgusting-"

"not even possible." he immediately interrupted her. becca and i looked at each other and nodded.

"good. that was the correct answer." we went on like that for far too long, and it ended up becoming a game of "what's the most wild response you can think of." after an hour and a half we decided that i won after saying he should eat her pinky if she held his hand. becca laid on the bed while tommy and i ended up on the floor.

"are you nervous? like genuinely?" becca asked him. he didn't respond for a short time, but eventually made up his mind.

"i keep going back and forth between nervous and excited."

"that's normal," i assured him, "that's how i was before my first date." tommy and becca sat up in perfect unison, and i flinched. why were they staring at me?

"YOUVE BEEN ON A DATE?" tommy yelled, recieving a "SHUT UUUP" from his mother downstairs. he cleared his throat. "you've been on a date?" he asks quieter this time, but they're still both staring at me like i'm crazy.

"yes, and i take offense that you're so surprised," i tell them, sitting up as well so it feels less like i'm being interrogated. "that date was extremely shitty, but the dude was a douche bag and neither you or ariel seem like douchebags, so i wouldn't worry." they both laid back down, again in that eerily perfect unison. i, however, stood up and walked to tommy's closet.

"hey!! my clothes!" he shouted as i started throwing shirts on top of becca.

"becca, help me get this man dressed."

eventually he was wearing something decent, and spraying way too much cologne in beccas car. "tommy," becca whined through a cough, "you're gonna suffocate her." we pushed him out the door and watched him enter the theatre, waving like proud parents. becca sighed.

"this is gonna be a mess, isn't it?"

"oh absolutely."