9 • sleepover

it was warm inside tommy's house, and i was so thankful. my nose felt like it would fall off after all that time outside. ava didn't seem to want to come inside at all, so i let her stay in the fenced backyard. tommy's parents weren't home and the house was almost eerily still. we ascended the stairs to his room and i settled onto his bed, pulling my knees to my chest as he took a seat in his gaming chair. he pulled out some papers from his backpack and took a long sigh, putting his head down on the table.

"you have to start trying in school at some point," i laughed, "you can't rely on youtube to be rich forever." he glared at me and i laughed more. he still didn't seem to be in the best mood but i hoped to at least get the weight of homework off his shoulders. we sat and did it together, aka i told him all the answers, and when we were done it was around 11:30 and neither of us were tired anymore. he stuck everything into his backpack and started up his pc. "tommy," i furrowed by eyebrows, "it's 11:30 we need to at least try to sleep." he didn't answer until he had finished typing his password. then he turned to me.

"tubbo texted. he wants to play counterstrike."

"you suck at counterstrike."

"duh. but tubbo is a god. he carries." i rolled my eyes and laid back on his bed, scrolling through my phone. tommy put on his headphones and i couldn't hear tubbos side of the conversation, but i knew tubbo was trying to cheer him up. every now and again i could hear tommy mutter "yeah" and "i guess" and i assumed tubbo was giving him some sort of pep talk. finally, after some amount of time that i wasn't keeping track of, my eyelids started drooping and the brightness of my phone screen was all that kept me awake. as i started to doze off the sound of my name startled me back to reality.

"y/n" tommy dramatically loud-whispered' "come say hi to tubbo." confused as to where i even came into this conversation, i rolled off the bed and scooted to the desk on my knees, resting my elbows on the surface and leaning into the microphone.

"hello tubbo." my voice was quiet and tommy unplugged his headphones, making it so that tubbos voice came through his speaker rather than the headphones.

"hiiiiiii" he seemed a little nervous, and it was awkward. tommy died in the game and broke the tension by screaming, per usual.

"HOW DARE YOU JUST LET ME DIE??"

"YOU WERENT PAYING ATTENTION!"

"YOU SAID YOUD PROTECT ME"

i just laughed at them and sat on the ground, continuing to scroll through my phone and giving input to their conversations when needed, usually just sparking an argument over auto-click or something dumb. it was nice to finally meet tubbo after watching him stream with tommy for a bit, but i felt out of place. these two had known each other for much longer than i had known either of them, and it just always felt like i was interrupting something. after way too long of them cycling between counterstrike and bed wars, i checked the time.

"tommy. it's 3am," i told him, wide-eyed. tommy and tubbo gasped in unison, making them both break into laughter. i awkwardly giggled along but i couldn't really find my place in this dynamic.

"oh shit," tubbo mumbled, "i hear my mom coming down the hall IF I DIE TELL Y/N SHES A LIAR" his voice was cut off by him muting himself in discord. i rolled my eyes. he was still mad at me for accusing him of cheating in bed wars. he unmuted himself again and was now fully whispering. "i am going to be killed if i don't go to bed right now. sorry guys." we said our goodbyes and i was partially relieved when i heard him leave. i liked tubbo but i just wasn't great with new people, and i was ready for an easy and less screamy conversation with tommy.

he leaned back in his chair and sighed. i mocked his sigh and he turned to glare at me. "we need to go to bed. at this rate we'll have 5 hours of sleep at most." i told him, dramatically returning the glare.

"yea i know." he stood up and left, presumably to brush his teeth. i hadn't brought a toothbrush or anything so i just lay on the ground with the pillow and blanket he'd given me. he returned a few minutes later and looked at me oddly. "dude. i cannot let you sleep on the floor. you can take the bed," he gestured for me to stand up, and i did reluctantly.

"are you sure? it's your room and you've had a long ass day."

"nah don't worry about it. i have a very comfortable floor," he seemed almost proud of this, which was beyond strange. i shook my head at him but took the bed regardless, and watched as he settled onto the floor. the room fell silent. it was comfortable, though. i hoped he could feel my gratefulness for him taking the floor through the vibrations in the air or something. my thoughts were interrupted by tommys soft, tired voice. "do you think you and tubbo got along?" even when his voice was quiet, it still had that thick accent and that distinctly nerdy sound.

"i think so." it was a simple answer but it was all i had.

"you guys didn't talk much."

"we didn't have much to talk about."

"hm." he sounded like he was thoroughly thinking this through, despite how incredibly simple my answers were. why did he care if i talked to tubbo? it's not like i ever planned on being besties with the guy. if we could coexist and crack some jokes together, wasn't that enough? i voiced this opinion.

"i don't know. i just thought you guys would be really good together. in a friend way obviously otherwise that's a really fucking weird thing to say." that was a totally unnecessary comment but ok tommy. "like, when i think about you two, your personalities just match up so well. maybe that's just me." i was almost flattered. i knew how much he loved tubbo.
——————————————————-
two hours later i was awoken by a phone call vibrating against my leg. the hell? i answered without even really processing that i did. immediately a woman's voice came through the speaker, and i began hanging onto her words, each one of them sending a thrill through my body. when the call was over i rolled and dangled my head over the side of the bed above tommy.

"TOMMY." i boomed, and he sprung up, headbutting me so hard it made an audible noise. "ow holy fuck. i was just gonna tell you about the gas leak in school. we get to stay home today."

"FUCK YEEAAA"
——————————————————
we both fell back asleep after that, and i slept until noon after the long night we'd had. i woke before tommy, and just lie there, letting the light from his only window keep me from going back to sleep. when i finally sat up i saw tommy on the ground, still sleeping peacefully with his face in a pillow. i listened carefully to the quiet house. either his parents were still gone, or they were utterly silent, which i found unlikely considering the ruckus they caused on our saturday night discord calls. birds chirped softly outside, and i closed my eyes to absorb the soft sound.

"what are you doing?" i nearly jumped out of my own skin. i opened my eyes to see tommy now half-awake, and staring at me through eyes that were squinted from the light.

"oh uh, just sitting," i stumbled along, unsure of how to tell him i was sitting there listening to birds. he's never stop making fun of me. he slowly sat up, putting his face in his hands and mumbling something about being hungry. "we can go get breakfast with becca if you want. she texted me as soon as we got the call about the leak." tommy just mumbled grumpily some more. "wow. you're such a morning person."

eventually i got him up and we began getting ready. tommy let me use an unopened toothbrush he had laying around. i stayed in the same sweatpants and crewneck i had been wearing since yesterday, and sat on tommy's couch waiting for him to get changed upstairs. his house was quite nice. it wasn't super fancy, or super run-down, it was just the perfect in between, making it homey and inviting. i could hear ava barking outside, and i went to his back door to see her playing with tommy's dogs, all of them running in circles around each other and having the time of their lives. it made me so happy to see ava having such a grand time. oh to be a dog running in a backyard with tommyinnits dogs. i wonder if she knew she was playing with celebrities.

finally tommys voice came from behind me. "THINK FAST." as i turned around, my phone was sent flying towards me. i got nowhere close to catching it.
—————————————————————
i'm not v happy with this but i'll have to settle for it