16. The Visit

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Sohee woke up in the middle of the cold night, suddenly feeling nauseous. Everything around her was spinning the moment she opened her eyes. She began to roll around her bed in hopes for the feeling to go away but to no avail.

The girl placed a hand on her mouth, preventing herself from vomiting in bed. So she did the only thing that was reasonable that time, but she came to hate, get up from bed. Using the support of the stand of her dextrose, she managed to enter the bathroom despite the world spinning around her in circles.

Her hands instinctively grip onto the edge of the sink, the force causing a swift but noticeable pain in her veins. A soft moan of pain escaped her lips and a tear fell from her eye. Sohee badly wanted the feeling to go away.

She felt it coming up her throat, the rotten substance making its way and she threw up on the sink, her heard lurching forward.

She groaned, the nauseous feeling slowly leaving her system. Her hand instantly went to her head as if trying to communicate with it through her touch.

Once the unwelcomed feeling was gone, she slowly made her way outside the bathroom. Unaware of how long she had been inside, the sun was already rising above the sky, its light seeping through the curtains of her room. But even though the sunlight radiated warmth, she still felt cold.

The door opening made the girl snap her attention towards the person entering. She let out a sigh of relief when she saw her doctor making his way to her.

"You're awake already?" He raised an eyebrow. "I expected you to be still sleeping."

Sohee grinned sheepishly. "I spent the last hours hibernating, so I don't think I'll be feeling knocked out too soon."

Namjoon flashed her a dimple smile. "That's good. Now I'm here for two things. First, let me check your vital signs if that's okay with you?"

Sohee sat on the edge of her bed. "You don't have to ask twice."

Namjoon did the usual, checking her heartbeat, her eyes and ears. Sohee found herself admiring Namjoon's aura and gentleness. All through out checking upon her, he never showed a sign of pity towards her, which she was thankful for. In the little moments like this they shared, Sohee suddenly felt the urge to trust her own doctor. Somehow, maybe they could end up becoming friends, maybe even closer in a sisterly and brotherly way.

All of these feelings she felt, she wondered in the back of her mind if it was maybe because Namjoon was connected to Yoongi.

Namjoon's voice broke her train of thoughts. "Why the frown? I prefer you smiling earlier." He chuckled softly.

The female shook her head, a small smile making its way on her lips. "It's nothing. Sorry about that."

"Ah, don't worry about it. I was just surprised." Namjoon's expression suddenly turned serious. "I told you I came here for two things, right?"

Sohee nodded. "Yeah, almost forgot about that one. So what's the other reason?" The girl's smile was still painted on her lips.

Namjoon let a second pass first before responding. "Your parents are here, Miss Sohee. They're waiting outside."

The girl's smile faltered. "Oh." She said at first, thinking of what to respond and react to what her doctor just said. Then she took a breath and met Namjoon's eyes. "Let them come in."

Namjoon wore a concerned expression. But when Sohee smiled, he got a bit relieved. "Don't worry. I'm not sad or anything, so let them in."

Namjoon nodded, his footsteps echoing around the room as he approached the door.

"Oh and Namjoon?" The male instantly turned around to raise an eyebrow at the droo of honorifics. "Please call me Sohee. Just Sohee."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Sohee's smile quickly left her face, and was replaced with a distasteful expression. The moment her two parents set foot inside, the tension became as thick as a fog, and the girl felt that everything was dead silent. Even though it was only silence accompanying the small family, it was so loud that Sohee's ears might burst.

Her mother cleared her throat. Sohee averted her eyes towards her with a blank expression. She surveyed her mother wearing a turtleneck knee-high dress, with a coat around her and her purse dangling on one hand. Her cheeks were a shade of rose gold, lips as red as a rose, but it didn't look like she had bathed herself in makeup. Still, to Sohee, she thought that her mother prioritized her beauty more than her own daughter.

Meanwhile, his father, who wore a suit, a long coat and black shiny leather shoes, was looking around her room, his hands behind him, as if inspecting. Sohee resisted the urge to scrunch her face.

"So this is where your tuition is going, hm?" Her mother's voice rang in her ears. When silence was the only answer Mrs. Nam got, she spoke again. "Since when did you got ill?"

Sohee fiddled with her fingers. "Last week, I think." She flatly replied.

"So you've been slacking off since then." Her father commented. "Well, I understand. I assume that you've been pushing yourself in studying than taking care of yourself. Perhaps, maybe that's the reason you're in this position now."

Sohee shifted her position, her father's words piercing through her insides. "Are you proud that I have studied hard enough?" She chewed her bottom lip.

Her father let out a dry chuckle. "No. All of those." He paused to look at his daughter. "Are nothing, and will go to waste when you're in this condition."

"Oh, Soohyun, stop beating around the bush." Her mother suddenly spoke up, earning a eyebrow raise from her husband. "Just straight up tell her that it's all her fault that's why she's sick in the head. Tell her she's just being the idiot she is."

"Maybe if you cared more about your daughter than those green papers, I wouldn't end up like this." Sohee snapped, catching the attention of her mother.

"Watch your tone, young lady." She warned her daughter with a calm but menacing tone. "Without our money, you won't be able to go to a proper school. And now that you're ill, who's going to pay your bills? No one else, but us."

"So why don't you just let me die then?" Sohee hissed. "Is it because you're scared that your business will all fall down if your own blood won't take over? You want me to take over. That's why you want me to get a business course."

Her mother was about to spoke when Sohee cut her off, preventing her from speaking. "Of course, I didn't take up the course. I secretly used your money to pay for my tuition fee on medicine. I took up a medicine course because I wanted to be a doctor."

"It's my dream to be one. My dream." Sohee paused before continuing, getting satisfied by the shocked and annoyed expressions of her parents. "But still, thank you for making me realize that I would never, ever, make my future children follow my path. Sadly, I won't reach that point. But I will die contented because I never followed your footsteps. So thank you."

"Thank you for helping me in finding who I really am and what I really want before this brain disease fully takes away my whole self."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━