1. In the Darkness

-Theo-

-Theo-

I looked behind my shoulder as I ran, almost losing my footing because of it. I didn't see my bullies anywhere, but I could hear them laughing at me nearby. There were three of them, and they kept shouting after me. I'd been running away from them for hours. I was scared and exhausted, but I knew I had to keep going.

"Where are you? Come here, little fag! Let's have some fun!"

I knew painfully well what they meant by that. If they caught me, I would be in a world of pain – again.

"Come here, little faggy!" They whistled at me, and I could tell they were close already.

It was really late, and I was far away from home. My bullies had cornered me hours ago back at school, but I managed to escape from them. I was so small and thin that I'd been able to squeeze through a narrow hole in the fence where they couldn't follow me. I had stayed hidden for a few hours, hoping they had given up, before finally heading home.

But they knew where I lived, so they had found me again.

This was not my life four months ago. But everything changed in one night when everyone found out I was gay in a city where gays were not accepted.

There were plenty of people who picked on me, but these three were the worst. Drake, Glen and the biggest of them all, Sean. They, too, had started picking on me at school just like everyone else. It started as light shoving and calling me bad names, but eventually things had gotten worse. Especially when no one was looking. They would trip me over, kicking and hitting where no one could see my bruises. Sometimes they'd beat me up completely before letting me go.

I knew this was one of those occasions since I had dared to run away from them. And they wouldn't hold anything back. I just knew it.

"There he is!" I heard Glen's victorious shout.

I tried to pick up my pace, but they were so close already... I could hear their footsteps so close to me. I saw no one around, no one to help me, and I couldn't run forever. The bullies were big and fast, and I was small, clumsy, and exhausted.

My lungs were already burning, and my legs were hurting. I couldn't run fast enough, no matter how hard I tried. I was just too tired after running and hiding for hours already. Too soon, I could sense someone right behind me, and that someone grabbed me by my hood, forcing me to stop. I tried to fight back, even though it was useless.

"Let me go!" I screamed, trying to pry his hand off me.

It was Glen who had caught me, the fastest of them. He tossed me on the ground and kicked me hard in the stomach. I tried to yell for help, but the kick had cleared all the air from my lungs. I tried to shield my body with my arms. And then Drake and Sean arrived. They looked down at me with evil smirks, watching as I quivered in pain and fear at their feet.