15. Ups and Downs

-Theo-

-Theo-

Saturday morning came with sunshine and singing birds. I woke up smiling, as cheesy as it sounds, and it felt like nothing could take my good mood away, not even the dark, angry cloud on my floor.

Deon, as usual, had a bad hangover.

"How can you get such a bad hangover after a few beers," I chuckled when I heard dramatic growling under the covers.

"Shut up," Deon muttered grumpily. "You are so fucking loud."

No, I wasn't. He just had a really bad headache. I sighed and searched for the painkillers I had stored in one of the drawers of my nightstand.

"I'll go get you some water," I said as quietly as I could.

"Shut up already..." Deon hissed, but his voice didn't have any strength in it.

I shook my head in amusement. Deon dug his head deeper under his pillow and pulled the blanket over his head, while I went to get some water for him.

Once I reached the bottom of the stairs, I instinctively looked on my right towards the living room. I couldn't see dad anywhere, but Allen was there, lurking at the other end of the living room, playing video games right in front of the old TV. I ignored him and stepped into our kitchen. I walked to the fridge to get a bottle of water for Deon, but then I heard noises behind me.

"Having fun?"

I turned around to see my brother at the kitchen door. I felt a nervous jolt going through my body, and I glanced at the stairs behind Allen. I guess I was hoping to see Deon, or at least my dad standing there. Allen wouldn't dare to do anything to me when our dad was present – that was the only good thing about him.

"I'm curious," Allen spoke slowly and stepped closer to me. "Is he fucking you, or is it the other way around?"

I stepped backwards, knowing painfully well that I didn't have any place to run from him in our small kitchen, except the door to the utility room, which was right next to me. I kept my eyes on Allen, who took another step closer to me.

"You should do us all a favor and just kill yourself," Allen said with a low voice. "This world would be a much better place without you in it. You were never meant to be born. Mom didn't want you. She tried to abort you. Maybe she knew what kind of disgusting rat you would become."

"What...?" I whispered, and the first set of tears leaked down on my face. "No – she loved me..."

"Did she? Perhaps she gave up the fight against her cancer because she wanted so badly to get away from you? Maybe she would still be alive, if it wasn't for you," Allen said, and stopped only a few steps away from me. "I know she hated you. I know she wanted to kill you. She knew what kind of maggot you would become."