5. Sidekick

-Theo-

-Theo-

When the class finally ended, I collected my stuff as quietly as I could and darted out from the door before Mrs. Ellis could see me. I also hoped to get away from Deon, but he was too fast for me.

"Oh no – you won't get rid of me that easily," Deon chuckled. "Besides, I've saved your ass twice now, so you'd better show me respect."

"W-What do you w-want f-from me?" I stammered when he started leading me somewhere.

"Well, I'm glad you asked," Deon smirked. "Here, carry this for me, will you?" he continued and tossed his bag against my chest.

I had the feeling he wasn't really asking. His bag was surprisingly heavy, like he was carrying rocks in it. My own bag was heavy enough to carry around all day long, but I didn't have the courage to start arguing about it with him.

I forgot all about the backpack when I saw Sean walking towards us. I nearly freaked out when he looked at me. I wanted more than anything to run and hide, but Deon's hand landed on my shoulder, preventing me from going anywhere.

"No..." I muttered and tried to pry his hand off, but he was too strong.

A thousand possible scenarios rushed through my mind, and each of them ended up with me getting hurt. But Sean just walked past us with Glen and Drake following him closely. None of them gave us a second look, and it almost seemed like they were too scared to do so.

I turned to stare after them. The look on my face must've been really shocked since Deon chuckled lightly as we continued our way.

"They'll think twice before trying to ambush me again," Deon said.

I didn't ask what he meant by that. I didn't need to. Sean had most likely tried to get even with him, and he obviously failed.

"Go get me coffee," Deon ordered, and I snapped out of my thoughts.

We were in the cafeteria, and I almost forgot how to breathe when the other students noticed me. They were clearly shocked to see me there, in a crowded room.

"What are you waiting for?" Deon grunted and pushed me towards the coffee vending machine.

I stumbled forward with the two heavy bags, trying to find my balance again. I stopped and looked around timidly. People were watching me, and once they had recovered from their surprise, their looks turned mean and calculative. They were already planning on ruining my day.

I couldn't move a muscle. All I could think of was getting the hell out of there.

"My coffee?" Deon grunted.

Between a rock and a hard place... Deon took a step closer to me, so I rushed to the vending machine, and thankfully, I was left alone. Then it occurred to me I didn't have any money left. I swallowed hard when I turned around to look at Deon, who was walking lazily toward me. He rolled his eyes when he saw my face.