chapter 8

Chapter 8

                Jazz ran forward and tackled Prowl with a tight hug, bringing them both to the ground. 

                "Jazz, this does not follow protocol!  Let go of me at once!" Prowl commanded.

                "Same ole Prowl!" Jazz smiled as he stood up and helped Prowl up.  "I've missed ya, man!  Where ya been all this time?" he asked.

                "On Cybertron's moon.  It was the closest thing I could find.  I didn't want to go too far in case something like this were to happen," he explained as he dusted himself off.  He turned to me.  "And who might you be?  I know everyone here except you."

                "My name is Static Prime, and I am leader of the Autobots."

                "Leader?  What happened to Optimus?"

                "He is currently on Earth.  It takes a stellar cycle to get there.  I am sending a rescue team to retrieve him and the other four Autobots currently stationed there."

                "That's strange.  Nevertheless, you don't look like you could do much in battle."

                "You really shouldn't go there, man.  She's a slaggin' good fighter!" Jazz said.

                "Are you serious?  I trained her myself!" Sideswipe boasted as he held up his blades.

                "Oh, please," I shook my head.  "I trained you."

                "She's got you on that one," Sunstreaker smiled.

                "Dude!  You always side with her on that!"

                "That's only because it's true!" the gold twin laughed.

                "Guys!" Jazz said to calm them down.  He turned back to Prowl.  "Even if she didn't have all them fancy sword moves, she's got some special powers of her own!  They don't call her Static for nothin'!" he laughed.  "Pit, I died and she brought me back to life!  In fact, most of us here died!"

                "Jazz," I stopped him.  "I appreciate your help in proving my fighting skills, but it is unnecessary.  There is too much work to be done to be focusing on fighting skills."  I turned to Prowl and scanned him.  He jumped back in surprise, then let me continue the scan.  "The only thing you need is energon, which is now plentiful as you can see.  Come with me, I'll take you to the medical bay.  Jazz, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, you three and the triplets need to rest up.  You've got a long two years ahead of you." 

                I turned around and saw the rest of the Autobots all staring at us.  "Alright, Autobots!  We're bringing the population back up, which means we're gonna need all hands on deck!  I'm requiring our rescue team to rest for their trip.  Jolt and Knockout, you two will, of course, be in the med bay with Ratchet and I.  Wheeljack, you're gonna be working on the wiring.  When that's done, come and help in the med bay.  Prowl, I'm gonna need you and Ironhide to navigate the arrivals to the right place.  Help them to the med bay if needed.  Everyone else is going to be helping the Wreckers finish rebuilding the city.  Send me a progress report every few solar cycles or so.  This is going to last for a few weeks at least.  We've got no time to lose.

                Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months.  The flow of arrivals slowly dwindled to nothing.  Our rescue team left successfully and not a single bot died.  We did well.  I had been so busy, that I had not been able to speak to anyone other than Ratchet, Jolt, and Knockout.  I did get the occasional reports on construction as I ordered, which always showed tremendous amounts of progress. 

                All of us medics were worn out.  We leaned against the walls in exhaustion, each of us about to go into stasis.

                Ironhide and Prowl walked in. 

                "I believe that last batch was the last- Prime!" Prowl stopped mid sentence and he and Ironhide rushed over to me.  "Did you not recharge?!"

                "No time for recharge... Take the others to their quarters," I ordered.

                He and Ironhide hesitantly obeyed.  They both returned once the three other medics were safely in recharge.  By this time, I was sitting down and leaning against a cabinet.  Prowl walked over and was about to pick me up when Ironhide stopped him.

                "I've got her, Prowl," he said with a smile.  He scooped me up into his arms and began to walk to our quarters with Prowl following.

                "Should I stand guard outside your quarters, Prime?" Prowl asked.

                "No, we're safe now," I mumbled.

                "Besides, she's already gonna have a mech inside keeping her safe," Ironhide said.

                "Inside? Who on Cybertron would be staying inside Prime's quarters?"

                "It's my quarters too, you know," Ironhide grinned.

                "Yours too?!  I hardly think that-"

                "Relax.  We're spark mates."

                The strategist stopped dead in his tracks.  "S-spark mates?  When...?"

                "On Earth," I mumbled.

                Nothing was said the rest of the way to our quarters.