Night Before the Battle

Hey, I'm back :) I hope 2021 is treating you well. Happy New Year!

.

Reyna and Harry arrived at the southern border at dawn and found a single tent with two horses outside. Calanthe and whoever had accompanied her must have camped here overnight. Reyna assumed it was one of The Monks; however, she'd never met any of them, except for the one who had been sent to kill her at the market last year.

Reyna dismounted Thunder, unsheathed the dagger at her side and tucked it into her riding boot. They would be asked to submit their weapons before Calanthe received them, and even though Reyna doubted Calanthe could hurt a single fly, it was still better to be careful.

Mary had come to see Reyna the other night, and if the witch had been honest, Harry's and Lance's speculations had been true. It wasn't at all shocking to Reyna that The Monks were only using Calanthe as a chess piece in their game. Calanthe didn't seem like the mastermind behind this elaborated plan, starting with the attacks at the borders and Harry's capture. Calanthe was desperate and angry, but she wasn't vicious enough to want to take over the world.

Hearing Reyna's and Harry's arrival, a tall dark man with a thick beard emerged from the tent, dressed in a large black cloak – the signature look of The Monks. He swept his fierce eyes over Reyna with his thick eyebrow arched. Her heart thudded violently as she held her breath in fear of him acknowledging the weapon hidden inside her boot. Thank Gods, he didn't.

His dry lips spread in an attempt of a smile, which didn't look at all genuine and less intimidating. He put a hand on his chest and took a bow before Reyna. "Queen Reyna, my queen was expecting you." His gaze flicked to Harry's sword. "You must submit all weapons. And your servant is not allowed to enter."

"That's my commander," Reyna said.

The man gave Harry a scornful smirk as he told Reyna, "If you say so, Your Majesty." Reyna glanced at Harry to see her lover have his fingers wrapped around his sword-hilt. It must take everything for him not to say something when being disrespected by the enemy.

"If Harry is not allowed to enter, he must keep his sword," Reyna said.

The man held her stare thoughtfully before another eerie smile transformed his long face, sending chills right down her spine. He didn't ask Harry to hand in the weapon anymore as he told Reyna to come with him.

The inside of the tent was dimly lit by firelight. Calanthe sat in her chair in her riding clothes, her hair tied up in a braid at the back of her neck. The shadow on the wall looked as though it wanted to engulf her. She looked small and young and helpless. Without Reyna's uncle's crown on Calanthe's head, no one would be able to tell that Calanthe was a queen and not a young maiden being held captive by the evil man in the black cloak.

The inside of the tent was dimly lit by firelight. Calanthe sat in her chair in her long golden velvet dress with her hair tied up in a braid at the back of her neck. The shadow on the wall looked as though it wanted to engulf her. She appeared small and young and helpless. Without Reyna's uncle's crown on Calanthe's head, no one would be able to tell that Calanthe was a queen and not a young maiden being held captive by the evil man in the black cloak.

"I thought I told you to come alone," Calanthe spoke once the man had left.

Reyna took some time to study the Queen of Theros. A lot had changed about Calanthe since the last time Reyna had seen her in person. She looked sick with her bony physique, lifeless eyes and pallid skin. What had they done to her? What had she done to herself?

"Harry's my commander," Reyna said, keeping a straight face. "It's not safe for a queen to travel that far on her own. And didn't you bring someone as well?"