The Queen

Ten months ago

Reyna woke up screaming. Outside, the sky was still dark. The snow was falling down lazily, and the only sound she could hear was the whistling of the wind through bare branches and her laboured breathing. She was alone in bed, dressed in her sweat-soaked nightgown. Her hands weren't bloody, and Egon wasn't on top of her with his rotten fingers wrapped around her throat.

The door swung open, and the warm glow of firelight from the corridor washed over the colourless carpet as a figure dashed into her chamber, sword drawn with a sharp whoosh.

Harry's horrified eyes locked with her own. "Is everything all right?"

She nodded, her shoulders slumped. "Just a nightmare."

Harry heaved a sigh as he put away his sword and looked around the bed-chamber to make sure it was really empty.

"Were you outside the whole time?" she asked when he turned away.

He looked hesitant, glanced at the bright corridor and then shook his head as if to say, 'Fuck it'. He closed the door, allowing darkness to engulf them once again as he strode toward the bed and sat down in front of her. Beaming, he brushed her damp hair out of her forehead and planted a kiss on it. "Go back to sleep, Peach."

"Harry—"

"I know, I know," he said tiredly. "I was worried. That's all."

"You're not my guard. You could just ask someone else to keep watch."

Harry tilted his head, his mouth quirked a little. "I don't trust the other guards. What if you decide to sleep naked?"

She smiled, hating herself for feeling relieved that it'd been him who'd guarded outside her door. It was riskier now that Lance was returning tomorrow; still, it wasn't tomorrow yet.

"Can you stay with me until sunrise?" she asked, taking his hand and kissing his palm.

He considered her for a moment, but she already knew he wasn't going to say no. Eventually, he nodded his head. "Scoot over."

She giggled and made room for him under the covers. Harry slid in beside her, lying on his back with an arm behind his head, the other wrapped around her shoulders, tugging her in. She rested her head on his chest and snuggled close, feeling much safer now that he was here to keep bad dreams away.

Closing her eyes and counting his heartbeats, Reyna gradually fell back to sleep.

The next time she woke up was to Jo shouting at Harry to get out of the room. Harry launched himself out of the bed and combed his fingers frantically through his messy curls as Jo continued scolding at him. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, Reyna realised that the sun was already hanging above the tallest trees outside her windows. Harry had overslept.

"No one has come in, right? Just you?" she calmly asked Jo, who stopped shouting to answer, "Yes, just me. What were you thinking, Reyn?!"

"Hey, you're talking to the Queen, woman," Harry said.

Jo smacked him hard on the arm, causing him to yelp and bounce back. "You slept in her bed," Jo snapped. "You don't get to speak morals here. Now get out!"

"Stop it. Both of you," Reyna yawned as she swung her legs to the side of the bed and stretched her arms tiredly. Harry somehow managed to duck around Jo and pecked Reyna on the cheek before he sprang to the door, shouting, "Love you!"

Jo gasped and placed her hands on her hips, eyes widened at Reyna. Reyna only shrugged, unable to stop the smile blooming on her face. She stood up and leaned against a bedpost as Jo came to shut the door.