Prologue: What Happened To Harry?

Winter. A wedding. A war.

Reyna must protect her kingdom and the love of her life from the ruthlessness of the royal courts. But her destiny is paved with blood and revenge. And as she and Harry set off on another adventure to find the cure for an ancient curse, what they find is much more than they have anticipated.

Meanwhile, Calanthe is scheming to take away everything that Reyna holds dear, and with the help of other dark forces, this time she might succeed.

Blood will shed. And the seasons will turn.

The night was wet and dark. Heavy snow was lashing against the windows of the carriage as the moaning of the wind muffled the shouting of men and neighing of horses. Kennedy Rowley hugged her little girl, who was wrapped in a soft fur blanket, to her chest. This was their first time travelling to the North, and Kennedy had worried that her child wouldn't be able to bear the cold. To her surprise, the little one had been an angel for most of the trip. She would eat and sleep and listen to her mother's story even while the snowstorm was raging on outside. It was the same story all over again, and yet the baby never got bored.

"Once upon a time," Kennedy began, rocking her baby gently in her arms. On her left, her husband had dozed off, snoring softly with his head leaned to the side.

Once upon a time, there were one hundred kingdoms living in harmony. The largest, strongest and richest kingdom in the North was ruled by an old king. The King had four sons: Lokesh, Kashvi, Reagan, and Aalam.

While The King and Queen were kind and admired by their people, the princes were spoiled, arrogant, and greedy. All four had grown up to become strong and great fighters, but the one with the most potential was Lokesh, the eldest. And the King was very proud of his heir.

The year Lokesh turned eighteen, the Queen died of a terrible illness, and not so long after that, grief killed the King. Lokesh became King in the North. At first, he was happy; his father's crown was everything Lokesh had wanted since he'd been fourteen. But now that he'd got it, he wanted more. And so the new king came up with a plan to become the almighty ruler of all one hundred kingdoms. With the help of his four brothers, his army started invading the neighbouring kingdoms. Villages were burned. Innocent people were killed. Dynasties crumbled. And soon, all ninety-nine kingdoms had surrendered to Isolde.

The war was over, or at least that was what Lokesh had thought. As clever as he was, he hadn't expected that the same greed which had driven him to start the war had turned his three brothers against him. A civil war broke out with four sides fighting each other for a year. Thousands of lives had been taken, yet no one won and no one surrendered. When the year had passed, the brothers agreed to call it a truce and divide the land into the North, the South, the West, and the East. Each brother would rule the largest kingdom in their region. Lokesh in the North - Isolde, Kashvi in the South - Theros, Reagan in the West - Attwell, and Aalam in the East - Rouxvania.

Twenty-four small kingdoms in the North now became the low courts which, despite having their own rulers, took orders from the high court of Isolde. Same for the twenty-four small kingdoms in the South, the West, and the East.

Legend has it that there was a time when the weather would change constantly in a year, but because the brothers had angered the Gods, it's always sunny in Theros, flowers always bloom in Attwell, and the leaves are always red in Rouxvania. As for Isolde, the land ruled by the tyrant Lokesh, the people must suffer from an endless cold.

By the time Kennedy had finished her story, the carriage slowed down and came to a stop. Her husband stirred awake as they heard a knock on the window. The door was opened, and a guard announced that they had arrived.

Kenny carefully wrapped her sleeping baby in the blanket as she stepped out of the carriage and took in the white scenery surrounding them. The sky was pearl-grey even though the sun had risen and the wind had stopped whirling around empty branches. The baby whimpered as a snowflake landed gently on the tip of her nose. Meanwhile, her mother kept spinning around with her mouth open wide; this was not only her first time seeing the North castle, but also her first time seeing snow. When she and Harry had been little, they'd always talked about travelling North just to spend a whole day playing snow fight and building snowmen.

This was not what she'd meant. She didn't want her first time seeing snow to be without him.

"Your Majesty," Stefan Russo said and nudged his wife, who started and immediately turned around. Kennedy curtsied when she saw the King of Attwell marching toward them with two guards in black armours following right behind, the silver hilts of their swords shining in the crystal clear sunlight. The King was also dressed in black. He was even more handsome than the rumours. His hair was short and wavy and as black as a starless night sky, and she could envision a raging snowstorm just from looking into his mysterious grey eyes. He was powerful and regal, but at the same time, just a young man of twenty years old.

"So you're Stefan and Kennedy," he said, his voice raspier than she'd expected. "Guests of the Queen are also guests of mine. You don't have to bow to me."

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Kennedy and Stefan both said.

"You can call me Kenny. Everyone does," Kenny added. Only her mother and late husband had called her Kennedy. She shivered at the thought of them; she didn't want to think about them now.

"How is...Her Majesty, Your Grace?" Stefan ventured, his palms trembling; he wasn't used to talking to a sovereign.

The King's expression remained unreadable. He didn't look at them when he said, "She's with Harry at the moment."

Stefan and Kenny gaped at each other, then at the King as if they'd just heard something extremely outrageous.

"Harry?" Kenny blurted. "We were told that he–"

"A lot has happened since we sent our men to deliver the news to you," Lance Devany cut her off. "But we still need you here, as you might be able to help us."

Help them? How could two peasants help the King and the Queen?

Neither Kenny nor Stefan got a chance to question when Lance told the servants waiting by the carriage to take their luggage to their chamber. To the couple, he said, "Come. I'll try to explain as we walk."

"W-Where are we going, Your Majesty?" Kenny asked.

Seeing the horrified looks on their pale faces, Lance sighed and spun on his heels. "To the dungeon."