Last Dance

They're baaaaack! Let me know what you think of this chapter. 

Also, if you've read my other books, please answer this question :)

Which genre do you think I write better at? Contemporary romance (Flatmate, My Girl), or Fantasy romance/Historical romance (TCTM, In Another Life), or Fantasy/mystery with romance as a side plot (TCTM 2)?

Thank you! :)

Love, Allie.

.

Harry had sat by the window from when the sun started setting. He watched the shadow at his feet dissolve into blackness, until the stars came out and pallid moonlight washed over the room.

A maid came to light a fire. She asked if he needed anything. He gave her no response, just a flick of his wrist to dismiss her. He could feel her eyes sweep over him as she left. He didn't care. He knew what the servants in the castle had been whispering about him. People always had a lot to say when they only knew half the story. Which was why Harry hadn't spoken to anyone since he'd come back. Not even Kenny and Stefan, whom he'd known his whole life. They could sympathise. However, they would never truly understand what he'd gone through.

Though the lake had obliterated all the scars on his skin, he could still feel the pressure of the blade buried deep in his side whenever he thought about the day of the ambush. He'd lost so much since then. Dying and coming back to life only to live like a ghost. Getting his memory back didn't suddenly make it all better.

A knock on the door disturbed his thoughts. He whipped around just in time as the door creaked open, and Mary poked her head in. Witch, he thought, rising fast from his chair. He remembered being chained up in a cell, and the only thing he'd seen had been her one eye glowing in the dark as she cursed him with her evil spells. He regretted having felt sorry for her once. He should have killed her when he'd got a chance.

"Don't be scared," she said, lifting a hand as though she was approaching a prey animal. "I just want to talk."

"I'm not scared of you," he told her, his voice rough. "You should be scared because it takes everything in me not to put my hands round your neck right now."

Mary kept a considerable distance between them as she stopped and swallowed hard. "I'm very sorry about everything you've gone through. You know I was forced to do that."

"No, you chose to do that. You chose to serve Calanthe."

"I did," Mary sighed. "I'd lost my sisters. They were all I had. And I blamed Reyna for it. When I came to Calanthe, I was desperate and mourning. But I swear I'm a better person now. I didn't mean to hurt so many people."

Harry scoffed, waving towards the door. "You're not making this any better. Just get out."

Mary didn't move. She looked even more determined to get her apology across. "I know I've caused a lot of pain for everyone here. That's not my intention anymore. I just want this war to be over and for everyone to be safe."

Harry flopped back into his chair, looking out of the window with his chin on his knuckles. If he didn't acknowledge her presence, hopefully she'd leave him alone.

It didn't work.

"Something's bothering you," she said.

"Yes, I'm still waiting for it to stop talking to me."

Mary exhaled, ignoring the insult. "It's the Queen, isn't it? Because of her bond with the King." Despite there being no answer or even a reaction, Mary still went on, "I think...it's for the best, if you just...let her go."