Shadow And Moonlight

Hiiiii, I'm baaaaack! Please vote and comment :)

.

"Don't move."

Harry hissed into his palm as he peeked through the gap between his fingers to watch Reyna tending to his wound. His hand had been burned slightly, but nothing too severe.

Reyna had managed to find some healing herbs in the forest. She chewed them in her mouth and spat onto the burn, amused by the way Harry's face contorted with disgust.

"Yuck."

"Oh, I'm sorry," she said mockingly. "Would you like it to be infected?"

A corner of his mouth raised as he watched her bandage his hand with a piece of fabric she'd torn from her coat. "How did you know how to do this?"

"I read," she said with a grin. "It's great. You should try it sometimes."

Reyna wasn't sure if it was the cold or he was shy, but she'd just seen a bit of colour in his cheeks. Harry averted his eyes immediately, looking at his bandaged hand. And there it was again – that sinking feeling in her stomach.

When they'd managed to escape from the burning house, Reyna had regretted her decision to continue the journey. But as she was looking at Harry now and thinking about how she could lose him any moment, she was more determined to find the lake.

They didn't talk about what had happened. Reyna wanted to talk about it, but she hated to acknowledge it. She hated that she didn't have an explanation for the things that she'd seen. For all she could tell, it'd been magic. And magic didn't always have answers.

Harry probably felt the same way for he'd been quiet this whole time. They were both thinking of the same thing and keeping their guards up. And maybe that was enough to keep them alive for now.

The sun was setting. They'd gone far from the house, killed two rabbits and cooked them for lunch and dinner. They and the horses were too exhausted so they'd decided to camp in the woods for the night, hoping there wouldn't be another storm, otherwise they'd have no shelter and get buried in the snow.

"Impressive," Harry said as he watched Reyna make a fire. "It's like you grew up outside the castle."

She didn't say anything about that compliment, didn't even remind him that he'd been the one who'd taught her that. The more he said things like this, the more she felt like she didn't know him anymore. He was slowly turning into somebody else. And she must admit that there had been moments when she'd thought she was gradually falling out of love with him. But then, she'd think about that kiss in the burning house. That had felt similar, hadn't it?

"You kissed me."

Reyna started as she dropped the stick she was holding and gaped at Harry. He was looking straight at her, his eyes round and full of wonder as he said, "In the house. You kissed me, right? Or was it just an illusion?"

"Yes, I kissed you," she admitted, not looking at him as she added more wood to the fire. She could still feel his eyes burning holes on the side of her face.

"Why?" he asked.

"I needed to shock you," she replied coolly. "I pricked my finger and it pulled me back to reality. So I thought–I just...didn't want to hurt you."

Harry chuckled.

"What's so funny?" she asked him. "I saved your life, didn't I?"

"Yes, you did, Your Majesty," he said with a polite smile. "I'm just imagining His Majesty's face when he hears about all the things we've done to survive."