The First Spring

It's time to say goodbye to the characters and the world :( Listen to "a playlist to cry to about your comfort character" on Youtube as you read. You'll thank me. 

Thank you so much for reading and supporting this story. 

.

"Your maids are looking for you. The parade is about to start."

The voice made Reyna jump. Her head whipped up, and she saw Harry approaching with a loving smile on his face. His cheeks were flushed from the cold, and she thought it was endearing how he'd gone from a Southern boy who had hated the cold to serving in the winter court. Soon this place wouldn't be called the winter court anymore. The snow had begun to melt as the curse on the one hundred kingdoms had been lifted by Reyna's victory. She had done what her mother had always wanted. She'd brought the sun to the North.

"It's still early. There's plenty of time to get ready," Reyna said as Harry stopped beside her. They gazed out at the lake. The ice surface had melted for the first time in centuries, and the water was blue and clear—what a spectacular sight. Reyna could stay here from sunrise to sunset just to witness winter being replaced by spring. Noticing how quiet Harry was, Reyna turned to check on him. His brows knitted, and a side of his mouth twisted as he got lost in his own thoughts, completely unaware of her scrutinising his side profile.

Her giggles snapped him out of it. He chuckled, turning to her. "What?"

She looked up at his brushed-back hair. "You look so put together."

"And why's it funny, Your Majesty?" The way he arched an eyebrow and emphasised her title nearly cracked her up.

She gave a shrug. "I'm not used to seeing you looking so royal, that's all."

His mouth curled into a fascinated grin. "That's not a nice way to speak to your husband."

She lifted her chin. "It is when I'm still your Queen, and you're my subject."

"I know I shouldn't have found that sexy, but I did," he said, making her laugh.

She put her arms around his neck while his arms curled around her back, pulling her closer. It had been a week since she'd broken tradition and married the man she loved. This still felt like a beautiful dream, and she woke up every morning afraid that all of this would be gone. Maybe she would never get used to this.

Harry patted her hair as she tiptoed to kiss his cheek.

"I might have to make you look less put together," she whispered.

His pupils dilated as he stared back at her in disbelief. It was funny how her saying these things still surprised him sometimes. "Well, don't say that or I'll make you show up late to the ceremony." He tucked a strand behind her ear, and his eyes twinkled as he smiled softly. "I'm not used to you looking so put together, either, my love."

"You prefer me looking beaten up then?"

"Would it be treason if I said yes?" Reyna almost choked, and Harry's eyes wrinkled at the corner as laughter crackled out of him. "I was just teasing you," he said. "I like my wife when she's healthy and safe." And as an apology, he cupped her face and kissed her pouty lips.

She scrunched her nose at him. "It's weird, isn't it?"

"What is?"

"Peace."

They both looked around at the distance where the forest stretched to the skyline.

"Quite boring, I must say." Harry pursed his lips.