Basic Straining

Last time on Total Drama Island...

The teams were given three challenges that tested their trust in their teammates. The rock climbing challenge revealed more than just Heather's grudge against Gwen. And Trent got the bad end of a blowfish courtesy of Lindsay. DJ trusted Geoff with his pet bunny. Huge mistake, by the way. [Y/N] had the guts to jump over jellyfish-infested waters, and Duncan surprised her with the softer side of him. Yeah, touching moments. Good times. Stay tuned for the most dramatic bonfire ceremony yet on Total. Drama. Island!

I couldn't sleep that night. Hell, did I ever sleep well here? I was left back at square one, despite being so close. It was agonising. As I laid there, I closed my eyes, trying to picture anything from my childhood, but kept coming up short. The dreams had subsided, so there wasn't any help there. I rolled onto my side, seeing the grey mist of light entering the cabin from the window. I slowly sat up, sliding out from under the covers. My eyes felt sore, puffy, defeated.

'It's a new day,' I reminded myself, collecting up a pair of black shorts and a [F/C] hoodie, along with a few other things.

'Just don't think about it,' I chanted in my head, as I exited the cabin and headed for the showers.

After spending a good ten minutes under the water, and then a walk around the camp, other campers were finally up and going. Heading towards my cabin door, I noticed the commotion occurring between Harold, Duncan, and Geoff. My eyes then wandered to Courtney walking away, disgusted.

"Idiots!" Harold exclaimed, muttering a quick 'hey' to me before storming into the guy's cabin. I looked to Duncan and Geoff, the two laughing in amusement.

"Sometimes, he just makes it too easy." Geoff laughed, and I rolled my eyes.

"You know, one day, Harold is gonna make you guys regret what you do to him." I pitched in, both of them glancing my way.

"What's it to you, sunshine? Besides, from what I recall, you've joined in to help once or twice." Duncan smirked, and I shook my head.

"Cause Harold knows I'd do it only once before I come to my senses. And trust me, the little guy always wins." I smirked back, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Listen up, you little cockroaches! I want all campers to report to the Dock of Shame at 0900 hours! That means now, soldiers! Now!" Oh, Chef just has the peachiest voice to hear in the morning.

"Line up and stand at attention! You call this proper formation?! Knees together!" Chef shouted through his megaphone, causing me to jump slightly. He went along the line we'd created on the dock, knocking people left and right. I stood straight as he came towards me, and I shot him a smile.

"What are you smiling at, soldier?!" He yelled, and I lent back ever so slightly. Was it bad I was missing Chris? As crazy as he was, Chef was worse.

"Nothing, Sir!" I replied, immediately giving a blank look. He made a 'huff' before continuing down the line. I let out the breath I'd been holding in.

"My orders are to make sure that all of the babies in front of me drop out of my boot camp except one. The last one standing wins immunity for their team!" Duncan chuckled, and I quickly whack him in the ribs.

"What was that for?!" He whispered, flinching.

"You know what! Duncan, you are NOT going to be all smart-ass today, okay? Chef seems serious, and you aren't leaving this team just yet." I replied, glancing over to Chef to make sure he couldn't hear us.

"Calm it, gorgeous. Didn't know you cared so much." He laughed, and Chef whipped his head around.

"You think this is funny, soldier? Drop down and give me twenty, now!" Duncan immediately dropped to the ground, and I swallowed down my fear.