New Pet

The New Pet is a famous urban legend about a woman who goes to Mexico and brings back a stray dog.

There was once a woman who went to Mexico on vacation. She got bored with hanging around the resort hotel and decided to explore the town. After doing a little shopping and buying a few souvenirs, she happened to see a little dog trotting down a dusty alley between two buildings.

She was immediately smitten with the cute little animal and followed it. When she caught up to the dog, she picked it up and it started licking her face. The dog didn't have any collar or tag, so she assumed it was a stray. The animal was so adorable that she decided to adopt it.

It's illegal to transport animals back from Mexico to the United States, so on the journey back home, she hid the little dog under her sweater and pretended that she was pregnant. The guards at the border crossing never suspected a thing.

Back in the United States, she brought her new pet back to her apartment and gave it a bath. Then she set out a bowl of food for the little dog to eat. She laid out a blanket in the kitchen for the creature to sleep on and then went out to a restaurant to have dinner.

When she came home a few hours later and walked into the kitchen, she found her new pet chewing a hole through the wall. There was an oozing mucus coming around the animal's eyes and it was foaming from the mouth. Afraid that her new pet might be sick, she wrapped it up in a blanket and let it sleep in her bedroom.

The next morning, the woman woke up to find the creature gnawing on her ear. She screamed and pushed it away. The woman realized that her new pet was seriously ill and took it to the vet. She sat impatiently in his office, waiting for him to see her.

As soon as the vet came out, the woman rushed over, carrying her pet in her arms.

"There is something wrong with my dog," she said.

He took one look at it and asked, "What did you say this was?" 

"I'm not sure what breed it is," she replied. "I think it's some kind of rare Mexican breed."

The vet shook his head. "This is no dog," he said. "This is a sewer rat." 

The woman was horrified. "A sewer rat?" she cried.

"Yes," said the vet. "But the bad news is, it has rabies."