Chapter 3 - Sakura Empire Makes a Move

Matt is given a few more days to rest before assuming his role as the base commander. Yorktown would visit him occasionally and have a little chitchat with the former air operations chief. They would talk about the days when Matt's son Tom wanted to follow in his footsteps. And how much he loves being with him. He didn't hesitate to talk about his ex-wife whom he divorced. Of course this devastated Tom since he was more closer to his mom rather than his dad. And then Yorktown would talk about the day she was being built.

Up to the time of her launch. The first day of her tour of duty. And the first time that Matt boarded her when she was still a ship. As well as how she got severely damaged during the battle of the Coral Sea. Matt then tells Yorktown about Capt. Joe Rochefort's team finally breaking the Japanese code that lead to the victory of the US Navy at battle of Midway. As the ship girl and her chief of air operations continue to reminisce about their time in the original world.

A ship girl stands in the middle of the flight deck. Two unmanned Dauntless dive bombers zoom pass her. The two planes then perform some aerial maneuvers while she looks on. The silver haired ship girl continues to look on as another ship girl in a black dress approaches her. She then says something to the silver haired ship girl about their long journey ahead.

????: Is everyone here prepared for departure? This could potentially be a violent battle. Please use caution.

????: The most important lesson to learn from history is. New eras may begin. But war never changes.

As the silver haired ship girl and her companions set sail for Azur Lane headquarters. Three ship girls from another major camp are also sailing towards Azur Lane. But they're not on a friendly visit. Meanwhile Wales and Cleveland are currently talking with Capt. Garth about setting up a tough defense barrier against the Sirens.

They are unaware of an impending danger that is about to come to Azur Lane headquarters. And Matt will experience the horrors of Pearl Harbor once again. After the discussion with Wales and Cleveland. Matt decides to go to the hospital where Yorktown is confined. Once again he engages her in a conversation about their lives back at their original timeline.

Sakura Empire which has now made it's move by sending two of its carriers and one destroyer to attack Azur Lane headquarters. The day of the attack will fall on the same day that the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked Pearl Harbor. But this time it will be different coz they will be using Siren technology. And this will make the other major camps question their loyalty. Another camp is now also on its way. But not to Azur Lane.

They are going to the island base of Sakura Empire. And together they will form an alliance similar to what Germany and Japan together with Italy formed in the original world. While Eagle Union and the Royal Navy are already in an alliance as Azur Lane. Meanwhile Matt leaves the hospital and heads straight home. He knows only too well that Azur Lane cannot rest on its laurels. An impending danger is about to come. And it will take Matt Garth back to the day the United States lost a lot of men and ships at Pearl Harbor.

But with no viable defense systems. The base is a sitting duck. He decides to summon Wales and Cleveland. The two ship girls immediately go to his office and asks why they are summoned by the former air group operations chief.

Capt. Garth: Come in!

Wales and Cleveland enter the office.

Wales: Good morning commander. You wanted to see us?

Capt. Garth: Yes I do. I want to know when was this base built.

Cleveland: If I recall this base was built almost two years after the Sirens first appeared.

Wales: Why do you ask commander?

Capt. Garth: Because I looked around the entire area and it seems that there are no adequate defenses to protect this base in case of an enemy surprise attack.

Cleveland: Are you saying sir that we might easily lose this base if it's not well protected?

Capt. Garth: That's right. Unfortunately we don't have any other human personnel aside from me. So as much as I want to get this base under proper protection. We will have to compensate with what is available to us.

Wales: What is your plan sir?

Capt. Garth: Since we only have limited aircraft carriers. I want them out at sea. We're going to need them in future battles.

Cleveland: And the rest of the ships sir?

Capt. Garth: Have the main battleships circle the perimeter of Azur Lane headquarters. The destroyers and frigates will serve as our front line defense. The light and heavy cruisers will be the second line. The battleships will be the final line of defense. Tell that to the other ship girls. Those who have anti-aircraft guns should be quick enough to shoot down possible enemy aircraft. Spread the word now.

Wales and Cleveland: Yes sir!

The two girls quickly relay the order to the other ship girls. Pretty soon drill exercises are conducted day by day. The combined Eagle Union and Royal Navy meager force quickly stop what they are doing and prepare for battle. Matt observes everything from the rooftop of the headquarters. Every ship girl are doing what they are told. In a few days Sakura Empire will be within striking range of Azur Lane. And the two lead carriers of the Kido Butai in the real world will once again be responsible for the attack.

But unlike in the original timeline. Enterprise will make presence felt immediately. And just like in the original battle of Midway. She will go after Kaga first. She will also meet Zuikaku at once. But Enterprise will have the surprise of her life once she sees Capt. Matt Garth. The same man who crash landed on her flight deck. All because of his SBD completely riddled with bullets. And his flaps have malfunctioned due to the anti-aircraft of the last main fleet carrier to be destroyed.

The IJN Hiryu. And we will also meet Hornet. The carrier that served as the transport of sixteen US Army B-25 midrange bombers that attacked the city of Tokyo. And Arizona, the ship that has a memorial built on top of it. Plus a few other ships that served in the US Navy.