Chapter 2 - Matt Becomes Azur Lane's Commander

As Capt. Garth rests in his room. He still can't believe that he just talked to a ship that became human. Especially Yorktown, the aircraft carrier that was heavily damaged by aircraft from the carrier Hiryu. And was finally sunk by two submarine torpedoes. He remembers the men that were left behind on the ill fated ship. Many of them tried their best to save the flattop from enemy attacks. But she was still sunk by the enemy.

Meanwhile Prince of Wales quickly learns of the presence of Capt. Garth. She and Cleveland decides to go to the hospital and confirm if the rumors about him is true. Once they're inside they quickly ask what room is he staying in. The receptionist at the front desk wholeheartedly tells both ship girls at what room he is staying in. Both of them didn't hesitate to go where he is. Instead of getting angry, Prince of Wales is elated of having a man in Azur Lane. Deep inside of her she feels that Capt. Garth is the right man for job of being the commanding officer in charge of operations.

Which means that they will have a more coordinated counterattack against the Sirens. And since Matt has the experience to come up with good offensive and defensive tactics. It will be a good thing for Azur Lane. The two ship girls arrive in front of his room. Wales knocks on the door and hopes that he is awake.

Knock knock knock!

Capt. Garth: Come in.

Wales and Cleveland enter the room and got awed by the presence of Matt Garth. She looks at him carefully. Not wanting to take any chances of him being a possible enemy. She quickly questions him about his sudden arrival in Azur Lane.

Wales: Greetings captain. I want to know if is it true that you're one of the pilots of Yorktown?

Matt: Yes I am one of the pilots of the USS Yorktown. I'm also the chief of air operations.

Cleveland: Air operations?

Matt: I am the one who plans the attack of the pilots. Like what is their formation. How low or how high they will fly. What type of bombs they will use. And what time of the day they will fly. And what type of aircraft that we will use to scout the enemy.

Wales: I see....... So you already have an experience of being a commanding officer.

Matt: You could say that. Although the battle of Midway was all the work of Admiral Chester Nimitz.

Cleveland: The Admiral Nimitz? As in the one who used the Japanese code against them.

Matt: Yup! He's the one.

Wales: How did you get here in Azur Lane anyway?

Matt: Long story.

Wales: We have plenty of time. There hasn't been any Siren activity since the last time we encountered them.

Matt: Alright I'll tell you everything that happened to me and how I got here.

Cleveland: That would be great. It's been a while since I last heard a good story.

Matt: Ok listen carefully now cause this is one story where you might hear some familiar names that I might mention.

Wales and Cleveland: We understand captain.

Capt. Garth begins to tell everything about him. He starts off with how he met his ex-wife. His marriage to her and when she gave birth to Tom. He also tells of his days as pilot before becoming the chief of air operations. He moves forward about Tom deciding to become a naval aviator like him. He also tells the story of the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo. He then reaches to the part of being a member of Admiral Jack Fletcher's team on the Yorktown. He goes all the way about the tragic fate of the ship and the remaining crew and sailors that tried to save her from sinking. He also tells about his tragic demise when he was having trouble landing on the flight deck of the Enterprise. Until finally he mentions the part of him being given a new lease on life. And how he got to Azur Lane. He ends his story on the part he met Saratoga and Lexington.

Wales: Oh wow. That's a wonderful story.

Cleveland: I can't believe that you have met Hornet and Enterprise when they were still ships.

Matt: Were you a ship before?

Cleveland: Yes I was.

Matt: If you don't mind me asking. But how did the ships like you become humans like me?

Wales: Alright it's our turn to tell how we became humans.

Matt: I'm all ears. Miss...... Uh......

Wales: I'm the HMS Prince of Wales. I am a member of the Royal Navy.

Matt: I'm glad to meet you Miss Wales.

Cleveland: I'm the USS Cleveland. It's nice to meet you captain.

Matt: My name is Captain Matt Garth. Just call me Matt so that you can be comfortable with me.

Wales: Well then Matt. Shall I begin telling our story?

Matt: Yes Wales you may begin.

Wales starts telling about the history of navigation and the naval battles that sprung from it. She then proceeds to the arrival of the Sirens. And how they kept humanity away from the seas. She soon tells of how Azur Lane was formed. She reaches the part where they are able to defeat the Sirens. As to how they became humans. She mentioned the wisdom cube that turned them into humans. She finally ends her story of how they have maintained peace. And also about the possibility of getting into another battle with the Sirens.

Matt: Incredible. You say that the Sirens appeared from a different dimension. And their aircraft carriers can launch multiple aircraft at the same time.

Wales: Yes. Even though we managed to defeat them. It is still a temporary victory for us. Until we can get rid of them. Peace will still be elusive.

Matt: I see...... Is there anything that I can do to help you win against them?

Cleveland: Yes there is. But it would be better if Wales tells you herself.

Matt: Alright Wales. What is it that you want me to do?

Wales: When we heard from the other girls about you coming here. I decided that if I will see you I'm going to ask you something about becoming our commanding officer.

Matt: Being your commanding officer? What do you mean?

Wales: Matt, I am asking if you like to be the commander of Azur Lane.

Matt: You want me to become this world's version of CINPAC?

Wales: Yes. Your experience as an officer can ensure us a great victory over the Sirens. So please captain. Please accept the job of being our commander.

Matt: Alright I'll accept the position of being Azur Lane's commander. But I will be strict on my orders. We can't afford any ship girl slacking off. Otherwise those Sirens will flame your asses.

Wales and Cleveland: We understand captain.

With Matt accepting the job of being Azur Lane's commander. The Sirens will be in a big surprise. However, he is going to encounter the very same carriers that aircraft from the Hornet and Enterprise sank. And he will soon meet the ship girl that became a silent witness to his untimely demise. The ship girl who in his former world was called by different monickers.