26. Good F-ing Job

I refused to believe the authenticity of the video.  I didn't know why Jason would do this to Dick and to myself, especially. Sure, I sensed that Jason might have a little crush on me, but, I didn't know he would do this big of an effort to ruin Dick's image.

Unless...

Well, if Dick did cheat on me, then, I supposed I--really, I had no idea what to say. He wouldn't cheat on me, right? Wrong, he would. He could.

However, I still believed that Dick didn't cheat on me. Until that night, when Dick arrived after Rachel had gone to bed and I greeted him by the front door, the first thing I noticed about him was the lipstick mark on the underside of his jaw.

That point wouldn't be visible at all if I didn't pay attention. Maybe I did look for any signs that someone else might've left on his skin that I noticed it right away. Also, no one could just kiss him on that spot. No one could just kiss anyone there casually as if it was the normal thing to do. So, he had to allow the other person to kiss him there.

As if realizing what I had seen on him, Dick wiped that underside of his jaw and looked at his lipstick stained hand. I sensed the panic poured all over him and pain poured all over me.

"No. Rome--"

By that time, I couldn't repress my tears anymore. I remembered a little squeak even came out of my throat as I paced away from Dick and into our bedroom. I locked the door behind me and slide the latch on or else he might be able to pick the lock.

Why would he...

He dared to even say, 'No' as if he didn't do anything? As if he was innocent?

"Rome, open the door," Dick whispered a yell from outside.

I really wanted to shout at him, but, at the moment, I only had the energy to weep. I hoped I hadn't been loud enough that I might wake Rachel up because that would make things way, way worse. She didn't need to know about this.

"Romania... please," Dick continued. "Please, just open the door."

Did he think I would want to see him right now? Like that? Hell no.

So, Jason was right. Maybe even he knew since the beginning that I wouldn't ever be Dick's and Dick would never be mine. I'd never had Dick this whole time! Oh, my God.

I had been so stupid.

The scent I smelled on his clothes might not be mine. He might be seeing someone else every time he told me he worked overtime and went on patrol. Not once did I see any of these. So. Stupid!

All those phonecalls? I didn't even want to think about it.

"Hey, honey," Dick said after a while and I recognized that tone as one that he would only use to talk to Rachel. "No, your mom is not crying--"

Hearing that, I quickly wiped my face and opened the door. However, I got pushed back into the room with Dick now blocking the only way out of our bedroom.

I-he... he made that up?! Or was I just stupid?

"Okay, listen," Dick started.

"No!" I snapped.

"Please, Rome. I-It's--"

"Not what it looks like?" I accused. "You're trying to find excuses for this?"

"I-alright... no. I'm not trying to find excuses. I will... confess," Dick said.

I scoffed.

"Now you do that after I found out, there's really nothing to confess," I folded my arms in front of my chest. "What if I didn't find out? You'll keep going, won't you? And now that the cat's out of the bag, there's still no guarantee that you'll stop."