17. Good, but, Wrong

So, it turned out that Mr. Bianchi was a wanted cartel man. Dick's friends arrested him respectfully on Monday morning. His guards, weren't as respectfully.

Everyone's questioned. I voluntarily went first for questioning. In hope to report the disgustingly uncomfortable situation so the chosen two might get a hint that they weren't alone. Marrie was the most shocked of all, but, I knew she was afraid. She had so many life at stake under her wings.

Dick came pick me up by the end of the day and he acted quite well. He pretended he didn't know something happened as he talked to his friends who weren't done questioning every body. They really made the seniors restless and anxious.

"God, Rome, I'm so glad you're okay," Dick said as he wrapped an arm around my waist and kissed my temple.

The friend looked at us apologetically.

"I'll talk to him," I promised the friend. "Thank you so much."

"Talk? Why?" Dick piled.

I dragged Dick away from the friend, only leaving a gap where they briefly said farewell to each other. In the car, we fell into a silent right away. Then, I cried. I didn't know why, but, I cried.

Dick held my hand all the way to my place.

The next night he returned to my place in his Nightwing suit. He knocked on my balcony. Later than usual. This time, he must've done patrol because he usually came in the middle of patrol.

This time we talked. Like we always had. I gave him a little shoulder rub as he quietly flirt with me. Soon, we turned to cuddle on my bed. Eventually, I had a feeling something about to happen and that must've been painted on my face because Dick dropped his smile.

Pulling the both of us up to sit against the headboard, Dick sighed.

"Romania, my love, I... I have to go," Dick said apologetically.

There. My nightmare.

"It's nothing about us. It's work. Day work. My partner got something from Mr. Bianchi. There's someone I have to chase and he's not in the State," Dick added.

"How long?" I asked.

"I don't know," Dick answered.

Another layer of fear.

"I'm sorry, but, you're going to be a single parent for a while. You don't have to. I can leave Rache--"

"Don't... finish that sentence. Just don't," I cut off, a little annoyed. "Never say you can leave her because you can't."

"Okay. I'll rephrase. Rachel can stay with my brothers while I'm gone," Dick carefully said. "But... I honestly will feel better if she's with you instead. If you don't mind. You don't have to stay here if you don't want to. You can stay in my apartment. Or even the manor."

"I don't mind," I said. "I'm worried about you."

"Don't worry about me. I'm sure it's only going to take a second," Dick assured. "It's nothing I can't handle."

I huffed.

"When are you leaving?" I asked again.

"Day after tomorrow," Dick replied.

"You haven't told Rachel," I concluded. "How are you going to tell her?"

"I'm still thinking about it," Dick admitted. "She probably won't care as long as you're with her."

I didn't know about that idea.

"You should be resting, then," I said instead. "Why are you on patrol?"