19. Goodnight Sleep

We told Dick about it. He panicked, especially since he just landed on the airport. I had no idea that he was already on his way home. He didn't tell me.

In less than twenty minutes later, Dick showed up to the cave and I cried even harder when he wrapped his arms around me. He tried calming me down by leaving kisses on my head and rubbing my back with his hand.

"I'm so stupid. I can't believe I lost her like that! I'm so sorry," I sobbed.

"Ssh, no, my love, you did everything you could," Dick promised. "Tim told me what happened in the surveillance."

"But, she should've not been taken like that," I whined.

Dick kissed the top of my head again and hugged me tighter.

"I'll get her back for you, alright? For us?" Dick said as he parted us away and wiped my tears with his fingers.

"Can't I come?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, darling," Dick softly said. "I can't risk your safety, too."

"But--"

Dick kissed my lips. It lasted for a while until he pulled himself back.

"I'll bring our daughter back," Dick promised.

I nodded a thin smile.

"What shoes is she wearing?" Dick asked.

"The blue one with straps," I answered.

Dick nodded before he ran a thumb underneath his chin before running his fingers down his eyes. Replying that, I gently pushed him back and told him to go.

After that, he walked to to Tim's computer and did something with it, mumbling some stuff to his brother. Dick changed to his Nightwing suit as soon as possible. Alfred helped him geared up.

"Tim, tell the others I'm right behind them," Dick said.

"You're already in," Tim said.

Dick paused as if listening to something. He let out a light chuckle.

"Yeah, B, I'm supposed to surprise my lady on her birthday," Dick said, glancing at me.

I flattened my hand and placed it with the palm facing my chest. Then, I pushed my hand forward before spelling 'luck' with my fingers to him.

Dick smiled.

A while after Dick left with Selina. I felt a little calmer, even though still feeling anxious. Waiting for ajother while, Tim finally turned to me.

"Jason found them," Tim said. "But, he needs backup unless it's okay if he started shooting. Which Dick forbade."

"She's been through enough," I agreed.

I sat myself down next to Tim. Keeping a respectful distant since I knew he didn't like being approached.

We waited. Well, I waited while Tim did his geeky thing. A second felt like a minute and a minute felt like an hour. Just waited and waited and waited.

Alfred delivered some coffee and water for us at one point. I couldn't be more grateful of him. It also made me feel welcomed.

Every time Tim made a move, my heart almost jumped to my throat. Sometimes he would talk to the others and I could only listen to one end. I didn't even want to bother looking at the screen because I was afraid I might see what I didn't want to see.

At one point Tim turned flustered. I almost asked him what happened, but, instead, I just looked at the screen. I saw Dick in one of the windows getting cornered. I wasn't sure if Tim could do much, but, if he couldn't, then, what else could I do?