THIRTY-THREE: Return

For two months, Nerin stayed in Ziya. He hadn't even been crowned yet and he was already busy trying to sort out a proper peace treaty with King Ouron. He had no advisors, no one to help him find a good deal, while Ouron had all of his. As far as he was aware, General Juna had died in the battle and Fentir was still looking after Brenmar.

He'd organised the return of his army, much to the disapproval of all the generals involved, but he was their King now, they had to listen to what he said. With the threat of the Beast lingering over their heads, the army returned, waiting for him to be crowned in Ishmar whenever he was able to leave Ziya.

He did send constant ravens to the old man to ask for help, but it took a long time and only made the process slower. For various reasons, Fentir didn't like the proposals King Ouron gave, but they didn't have much choice in the matter. Nerin quite liked some of the ideas the King presented, but he wasn't sure if he was being taken advantage of because of his age.

Of course, he wasn't going to let that happen. There had to be a fair trade in the treaty, even though Harudan had been the one to start the war. Nerin had already agreed to help pay for any damages, but it didn't look like it would be necessary. Isiah was always out in Minisia with Emrick and Rina, fixing the buildings and healing people as the Beast.

It meant that Nerin didn't see them much. The only person he knew from Brenmar was Ashera, who followed him around everywhere when he wasn't in a meeting about the treaty. They didn't want to walk around the palace on their own, not when the remaining Warriors were everywhere, death glaring at them as if they were waiting for the two children to leap out and attack them.

If the treaty went the way it was going, Brenmar would still have to pay for the damage it caused and the people that were killed, which would go towards getting the country back on its feet. Because of the Beast, it wouldn't be anywhere near as much, but it seemed only fair that he do something to make up for the actions of his brother.

The funeral had been a private affair just as King Ouron had seen. Ashera had been with him while they set up the pyre and burned Harudan's body. It was the easiest way to transport him back to Ishmar, where he would be kept in the crypts under the church with the rest of their dead family. All of them except for Turian, who had been left behind in the laboratory long ago.

Towards the end of the funeral, when the flames had almost gone out, Rina had stopped by to see him. She didn't stay for long, but it was better than nothing. He'd missed her and Isiah and Emrick while he'd been stuck in Ishmar and even once he'd finally reunited with them, he barely got to see them. He understood why of course, but he still wished he got to see more of them.

They had understood and forgiven him for what he had done, but he could tell that they had been disappointed in him. He was too. He'd been the one to help free Ishin in the first place, to cause so much destruction to Minisia. It was his duty as Brenmar's new King to fix it as best he could.

King Ouron and his advisors hadn't been happy with one of his few suggestions a month into the proceedings. Instead of a repeat of the last ten winters, Nerin wanted to share the food grown by each nation so that no one starved. Of course, it would have to be paid for by whichever nation needed it, but whatever aid was required, it would be given without argument. And if it wasn't possible to help immediately, the nations would have to work together to find another solution. It would be how it was supposed to be, how it had been for decades before the war.

Requesting it had ended in a sharp silence from the four Askari that had been constantly demanding things from him. The first and only thing he had asked for since they started and they didn't seem willing to agree. For a week, they argued that they shouldn't have to pay for anything, that it should be given to them willingly. But if either nation wanted to flourish, then it was necessary. They treated him like a child and he was one, but he knew enough to keep his country going.