SIXTEEN: Caught

Sitting in the back of a cramped cart for days on end had been a bad idea on Nerin's part, but it had been easier than stealing a horse. The days passed with the monotonous sound of hooves against dirt and the occasional whispered conversation between him and Ashera, who looked about as agitated as he felt.

Sleeping was the worst part. He woke with numb limbs and with no room to move around, it took forever for him to get feeling back into them. His back ached more than it ever had, even when he'd been sleeping on the hard ground with Isiah and Rina. Having the corners of crates poke into his back whenever he turned was awful. Neither of them complained much though, not when what they were doing was so dangerous.

With his back against the wall of the cart, he pulled two apples from the bag, handing one to Ashera. Most of what she had grabbed was fruit and bread, which would go off rather quickly, but the dried meats would last for some time. He couldn't exactly blame her, he hadn't been that specific when he'd asked her to pack food for them. There was little chance of them starving with the amount she had packed.

"Thank you," she said, so quietly that he almost didn't hear her, and bit into the apple. Juice ran down her chin, but he didn't say a word, almost used to her messy eating habits.

Neither of them knew where exactly they were. It wasn't like they could get out and check whenever the cart stopped (although, they did poke their head out to see whenever the person driving snored in their seat). They had travelled for days, so long that Nerin had lost track of time, so surely they were at least in Minisia. He wouldn't know until they stopped for good.

It hadn't crossed his mind until the second night in the back of the cart. What would happen when they eventually reached the army? It would be difficult to explain why the Crown Prince was hiding in the back of a supply cart with a servant girl. But he was the Prince, they would listen to anything he said unless they wanted to face treason. Not that he was actually serious about it, but as a last resort, he would use his status to his advantage.

As for getting to Harudan, he wasn't entirely sure. Once he got to Ziya, surely there would be some way to find him before the battle started. He couldn't go all that way and not get to him, but he should have thought it all through properly before he'd left and dragged Ashera with him, not that there was much time.

Like most of his journey so far, he would figure it out along the way. Confused, tired and far too sore for his liking, he let out a long sigh as the cart bumped over the uneven track. "Aren't you going to finish that?" Ashera asked, nodding towards his barely eaten apple.

"Oh, I will," he said and bit into it again. He had forgotten he was eating it, if he was being truly honest, even though he was starving. He'd gotten far too distracted trying to figure everything out. It was needed; they couldn't arrive in Ziya without a plan, but he couldn't think of anything.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

"No."

She didn't respond, just nodded in understanding. They were stuck in the same boat, but she shouldn't have been. He should have been able to force her to stay behind where it was safe for her and yet, there she was, far too stubborn for her own good and following him into a warzone.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do," he whispered. She frowned at him; she would have every bit of faith in him, but he was dashing that away in an instant. "I don't. I need to think of a way to get to Harudan and then a way to stop him before Ziya is taken over, but I can't think of anything."

For a long time, she was silent, munching on her apple and frowning at the crate in front of her. "I'm sure you'll come up with something. You have to," she eventually said, unknowing of the amount of pressure he felt at her words. "I trust you."