Chapter 33

Rafael’s hands held the sides of Fiora’s soft cheeks. He looked down at her beautiful face and his heart twisted at her tears. If only she believed him, if only she would listen and know the truth. 

How can I make her see? He asked himself. 

“Please I don’t deserve this.” She breathed as more tears rolled down her cheeks. 

“Fiora I had no intention of hurting you.” Rafael looked deeply into her eyes, willing her to understand but she shook her head. 

“No listen to me!” He kept his voice soft but urgent. 

Quickly he began “Erickson poses as a peasant and reports the villages hardships to me, I had heard of your failing farm long ago so I went one day bent on possessing the land myself in exchange for a large sum. I spoke with your mother on that day, she was so strong willed she refused me calling me a scoundrel.” Rafael’s eyes lit with amusement thinking how like Fiora she was. 

“She told me how hard she and her daughter worked to feed yourselves and your village. Such selflessness.” He shook his head still amazed at the woman before him. “You had barely enough for yourselves but the village relied on your crops for the winters.” 

 “I came back often as the drought hit hoping your mother would reconsider and I might save you both from poverty. Each time she refused and each time she would speak of you and your uncertain future. I saw you working in the fields like a common laborer, beautiful and strong. I was jealous of your selflessness and entranced. When your situation worsened I stepped in the only way I could think of at the time.” 

Fiora tried to pull away now but he held firm. “You lie! Why would you keep me hostage so cruelly?” She met his eyes with fire. 

“Your mother said it would be best for you, she said you would fight but-” Rafael paused unsure if he should continue “she knew she was ailing and she didn’t have much time left, so she put you in my care.” 

Fiora scrunched up her face and looked up at him, still disbelief in her eyes. “Her last words were- Take care of her. Make her happy.” Rafael finished his tale and removed his hands. 

Fiora was silent then whispered “Why didn’t you tell me this before?” 

“I couldn’t, something always prevented me-” Fiora moved away from him looking down at the ground. 

“Fiora please don’t-” He extended a hand towards her. “I can see you shutting yourself away, don’t leave like this I-” 

She cut him off “Rafael, I need to be alone.” He felt desperate, he felt he was loosing her again right before his very eyes. 

“I am tired, I need a bath and my wounds need to be tended to by an actual doctor.” All emotion was gone from her voice, leaving her sounding lifeless. 

“I shall call for a bath.” Rafael nodded and paused in the doorway to take one last look at her. 

He would not call upon any doctor, he would tend to her wounds- he didn’t trust anyone to touch her. She might not admit it now but having someone else's hands on her would make her panic due to her kidnapping. Fiora might fight him and even hate him but he didn’t care- he wasn’t going to stay away any longer. He was done playing the passive observer. 

When he had kissed her she had responded, there was no denying that. He had to make her realize her own feelings or at least admit them. 

He was not going to let this matter go his feelings were too strong for her now. He would make her see- show her his feelings even if it ruined him, he hardly cared anymore. 

“I love you.” Rafael whispered as he closed the door behind him. 

____________________________________________________________________

Hello my wonderful lovely fans- new and old! Thank you for all of your encouraging comments and votes!

 I’m going to try and work on some longer chapters but it’s a little hard with school sucking the life out of me everyday haha. 

As always comment, vote and fan! 

<3 Dani