Chapter 10

Rafael ran a hand through his hair then over his tired face, pausing at the cut he had received earlier that day. It was difficult for him to work on all his duties and go through all that paper work when Fiora was always  in the forefront of his brain. 

He had no idea what he was going to do with her. She infuriated him, she hated him for all the wrong reasons and she wouldn’t let him explain. She inflicted injury upon injury on him and not all physical. Being called a murderer and a pig really ruffled his cool facade. His mind kept replaying those moments over and over like a broken record. 

Rafael had always been known for being collected and cool, never once to show his emotions. Only when it came to Fiora did his world turn completely upside down. 

“Your Majesty...” A soft knock interrupted him. 

“Yes. Erickson come in.” He motioned over to the large overstuffed armchairs sitting in the corner of his study. Side stepping the chess table that stood in between them he plopped down utterly exhausted.  Erickson followed suit, but in a more refined stiff matter. 

“My lord I have-” Rafael raised a hand to interrupt. 

“Please Erickson how many times must we go through this? Call me Rafael. How long have we known each other? Since birth!” He exclaimed. 

Erickson shifted slightly uncomfortable “Yes my lo- ... Yes Rafael.” He continued “I have pressing news. You asked for the doctor to be found...well we have discovered him.” 

Rafael’s eyes squinted “What is it?” 

Erickson hesitated “He was found dead, his throat slit.” 

Rafael’s stomach dropped “Murder!..and what else Erickson I can tell you are with holding something from me still...” Erickson was Rafael’s only friend, one of the few people who truly understood him. Ever since his crowning Erickson became more reserved but no less loyal. 

“Well...he was found in a farm field.” He paused his cool blue eyes laced with concern.    “The field formerly belonged to Fiora’s parents.” 

Rafael cursed under his breath, but Erickson was not finished with his report. “My men inform me that it was displayed in such an open manner and so gruesome...that it was likely to send a message.” 

“You think Fiora to be in danger?” Rafael gripped the edge of his chair.

“Yes...there was a message in the doctors pocket.” Erickson reached inside his vest and pulled out a crumpled piece of parchment paper. 

Rafael snatched it,  unrolling it with as quickly as he could. His heart sank what was scrawled across the paper was “She’s next.” 

He had to protect her, this just gave him all the more reason to keep her hidden away in his castle. “Double the guards. I want a twenty-four hour watch on the main gate at all time, take it in shifts. I want bars placed on Fiora’s window. Also-” 

Erickson cut him off “Rafael...it’s not certain that the threat is directed at the girl, I could just be too paranoid. ”  

Rafael shook his head “Your paranoia is the main reason I am still alive. I trust your hunches completely.” 

“Thank you my lord.” Erickson bowed and Rafael nodded in dismissal.