Chapter 12

Fiora ran towards the door as she heard the lock clicking open but before she reached it, it swung forwards revealing a whole host of people. Eyes wide in amazement she watched as a metal bathtub was carried into the room, followed by Erickson. 

“Erickson! You wonderful man!” Fiora cried flinging herself forwards and kissed his rugged cheek. 

He laughed uncomfortably and smiled down at her. “This is all Rafael’s doing.” 

Fiora narrowed her eyes, looking skeptical. 

“He means well, sometimes he just needs a slight push.” Erickson winked a cool blue eye. 

“Now where would you like the bath?” 

Fiora motioned over to back of the room and couldn’t help grinning from ear to ear. More servants filed through and began filling the tub with hot water. 

“Thank you so much, really.” Fiora looked up into Erickson’s friendly face. 

“Don’t thank me, Rafael is the one who ordered this.” 

Fiora liked Erickson instantly, he seemed almost like an older brother and she knew they would get along from here on out. 

“He did mention he would be seeking an audience with you later this evening.” Erickson mentioned quietly glancing at her out of the corner of his eye. 

Fiora merely nodded her thanks at the information as her stomach began to knot. 

“Will that be all?” A servant inquired, bowing in front of Erickson. 

“Yes. Thank you.” He returned the bow. “Well...” He seemed slightly uncomfortable “enjoy.” He turned on his heels and ushered everyone out of the room.

Fiora spun about, utterly blissful. She couldn’t believe something as simple as a bath could lift her spirits in such a way.  Sidling over to the metal basin she looked down at the clear water smiling at her reflection.

 Placed gently upon her bed was a towel and two bars of soap, tentatively she sniffed each one. The first smelled of calming lavender and the second smelled like sweet milk and almonds. 

Quickly she shimmied out of her dress and unbound her hair. She stuck a toe in the steaming water and shivered realizing how cold the air around her was now. Fiora slipped into the tub, it was big enough that her legs could almost straighten out. Her hair  curled about her in the water and she closed her eyes reveling in the warmth. She took her time washing her hair with the lavender soap and cleaning her tired body. 

A half an hour had passed and the warm water was beginning to loose its heat. Fiora hardly cared though, she was content to sit back and just soak aimlessly. She tried to not let her mind wander to the dark and sorrowful places that it did at night. Grief could only take her so far. She had to live in the present, her mother would have wanted that, her mother wouldn't have wanted her to give up. She sighed heavily and sunk further beneath the cooling water.

A knock at the door made her eyes fly open and set her heart pounding. 

“What if it’s Rafael?” She asked in terror. Sloshing out of the tub, she grabbed at the towel laid out on her bed. She had just wrapped it around herself in time when a woman with a mass of black curly hair came strutting into the room. 

She was wearing a deep red dress with a reveling low neckline. “Come come” She clapped her hands motioning to a meek plain girl and a small boy trailing behind her. 

“Hello darling.” She said towards Fiora handing her a white flowing robe to put on. 

“Sorry...” Fiora squeaked out shivering. “Who are you?” 

“Jacqueline Morgan...” The eccentric woman bowed “towns best seamstress, at your service.” 

Before Fiora could question her further she was spun around and the woman was taking her measurements. She shouted out the numbers and they were written down by her assistants.

Fiora was in a daze as Jacqueline held up swatches of color to her face to see which one suited her.  “Had Rafael truly hired a seamstress for her?” She fought back confusing emotions towards her parents murderer and in the mean time focused on attaining a practical wardrobe.