Chapter 15

It was the first morning of Fiora’s new life here at the castle. She was awoken by a breakfast tray of her requested meal being placed gently on the edge of her bed. She tried to fight back the feeling of enjoying this superb new treatment. She didn’t want to like living here, this was just a more comfortable confinement. 

Quickly she ate her breakfast, eager to be out of this room. She donned the light green day dress with a simple tie around her waist and braided her hair into a single plait. She checked her appearance once more in the large mirror then headed for the door. Fiora placed her hand upon it tentatively, worried that Rafael had just made some sort of cruel joke. 

With a quick inhale she flung the door open, it swung easily on its hinges and hit someones back. Erickson turned around eyes wide in shock.

“Oh my goodness Erickson, I am so sorry! I didn’t know you were out here!” Fiora apologized putting a hand to her beating heart. 

“You startled me is all.” He let out an easy chuckle. “I was waiting to give you a tour of the castle.” His clear blue eyes smiled down at her. 

“That would be wonderful!” Fiora smiled up at him. 

“It’s a big place after all, very easy to get lost.” Erickson offered her his arm and she looped hers in his easily. 

“So tell me Erickson-” Fiora began but he cut her off “Please just call me Eric” He smiled with such kindness and care. 

“Well then, Eric, how long have you been in service to Rafael?” Fiora asked as they made their way down a flight of stairs. 

“Rafael and I were friends since birth, he was a prince and I was his only friend. My mother was...still is the cook here and my late father worked in the stables. I was born right here in this very castle.” Eric seemed proud of his background and he glowed when he talked about his family. 

“So you are a prisoner as well...” Fiora half mocked.

Eric’s deep laugh drifted over her “I choose to serve Rafael, he saved my life once, so I am in debt to him.” 

Fiora’s interest peeked “He did?” 

Eric nodded and didn’t offer up any further details, so she let it go. “Where would you like to see first?” He asked in stead. 

“Well...I don’t really know what this castle holds...you pick!” Fiora felt light hearted for the first time in months, Eric was such pleasant company.

“To the kitchens!” He voiced and propelled her forwards down the hall. 

They reached a room and before they entered a voice called out “Eric is that you? You run like a horse, clomping down the halls like a heard of wild animals were after you...” Eric strolled into the room and Fiora followed timidly. 

“Hello mother” Eric scooped the small lady into his arms and pressed a kiss on the top of her head. She broke the embrace and turned her attention to Fiora standing in the doorway. 

“You must be..Fiora!” The woman was much shorter than Eric and plump with a large bust. She had golden hair with flecks of red in it and freckles played across her button nose. 

“Yes ma’am” Fiora curtseyed.

“Well come help me with the afternoon meal, won’t you?” She rolled up her sleeves and reached for the rolling pin on the counter. 

“It would be my pleasure.” Fiora knew she didn’t have much of a choice in the matter, but she was happy to do some everyday chores again. 

“Oh Eric dear, a letter was left you...from Nora” The woman gave him a stern look.

Eric snatched the letter from his mothers hands and a worried pained expression came over his face. “Excuse me ladies.” He made an elegant bow. “Enjoy the day.” With that he turned and left the room.

“Who’s Nora?” Fiora ventured unable to keep the questioning inside. 

The heavy woman sighed “The woman he is in love with.” She shook her head “Oh he doesn’t know it himself yet, but mothers just know these things.” She stated matter of factly. 

Fiora wanted to pry more but let it be, not wanting to come across as so nosey. For the next hour and a half the two of them laughed and made a multitude of treats. The woman’s name was Suzan and she was a bundle of energy. The whole time she mothered Fiora, giving her advice and warnings. 

For the first time in a long time Fiora felt happy and loved. 

___________________________________________________________________

Hey guys a a bit of bad news: I'm going to have to go to uploading once a day again since a new semester of school is starting. 

Side note: Welcome all new fans! I can not wait to have you along for the ride! Thanks everyone for your votes, comments, and views! Your support gives me the drive to keep going!

(p.s. yay 4000 views!)

~Dani