Chapter 4

At first Fiora just stared at him, watching his lips form the words she feared most to hear. Her world  crumbled around her in slow motion as she attempted to grasp what she had just heard. Her breathing grew heavy and she stared blankly at Rafael. 

“You...you did this.” she whispered slowly grasping the reality before her. Rafael stood in front of her, eyes shut tightly, brow furrowed and his breathing was slow. 

“You...did this!” Fiora chanted raising up. She was still grieving the loss of her father and now...now her mother. Her sweet feeble mother, once so vibrant and full of life....gone. She couldn’t take it, she had no one left, no family, no life... Sorrow was instantly replaced by deep seeded hatred. 

“I hate you!” Fiora cried grabbing last nights bowl off the nightstand and hurling it at Rafael’s head. She didn’t wait to watch for the impact, merely headed towards the book shelf for more ammunition. 

“I could have saved her!” She flung another book and like clock work reached back for more. 

“Now she’s gone!” Fiora gasped in between words as hot tears streamed down her face.  

Rafael knocked aside an incoming book, then another and made his way towards Fiora. 

“You bastard!” She screamed “Get away from me.” Rafael merely dogged books and continued forwards his dark eyes lock onto Fiora’s. He grabbed the next books out of her hands and threw them to the ground. 

“Fiora.” He said softly. She winced at the sound of her name and grabbed for more books. 

Rafael grabbed her slender shoulders restricting any further movement she might have. 

“Fiora listen to me.” He practically purred. "Please-"

“No!” Fiora screamed her voice cracking. “You murderer!” 

Rafael’s demeanor collapsed, almost as if he was deflating. His grip slackened and Fiora seized the opportunity to slap him straight across his chiseled face. “Murderer.” He didn't even respond to the blow just turned his head to the side staring blindly at the floor. 

"Murderer..." Fiora repeated, this time it was a whisper as she turned away from him and sunk to the floor.  

Rafael’s hands dropped to his sides “So this is your opinion of me...” he watched as she drew her arms protectively around herself as he turned away locking the door bitterly behind him. 

As the lock clicked in place Fiora sobbed big heavy sobs that wracked her entire body. She felt as if she couldn’t get enough air into her lungs as she lay upon the floor heaving. “Nooo...” She whimpered. “Not my mother...not my mommy.” Each new thought sent sharp arrows shooting through her heart, stabbing pain, twisting and agonizing. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rafael stormed out of the room and fled to his study. 

“The two people she cared most about in the world. Her parents...dead at my hands.” Self loathing exploded inside of him. 

"Murderer." Her accusations still chanting in his head. 

“Why?” He erupted and punched the stone wall he had thrown himself against. The force of the blow split the skin upon his knuckles and blood began to trickle down his wrist. He didn’t feel it though, he didn’t feel the bruises that the books left upon his face and body, he just felt hatred. For himself. 

“How can I right this wrong when she knows nothing of the truth?” He asked himself. "How can I make her see?!" 

Hours later he had composed himself enough to climb the stairs to Fiora’s room once more. Reaching for the handle a soft noise from inside stopped him. It was her and she was crying softly. Not the frantic angry tears from hours ago but instead soft tears of a true ultimate sorrow. He almost turned away but the image of her crying herself to sleep made him turn the handle. Rafael stepped inside swiftly but she did not look up or stir.

She was curled up upon the bed, her brown hair concealing her face and upper arms. Almost a perfect image of the last time he had left her in sobs.

"So many tears...all because of me." He thought painfully to himself. 

 Her knees were locked up into her chest and only the occasional sniffle made her back rise and fall. Rafael strode over to the bed unsure of what to do with himself. He wanted to take her into his arms, to tell her everything, to tell her he would take care of her. But she hated him, she hated his mere touch. This was unlike anything he had ever dealt with and yet he had this uncontrolable urge to comfort her. 

“Rafael?” He nearly blanched at the sound of his name. Fiora had called out to him in a silent pleading whisper. 

“Why?...why did you do it?” Her body shook with renewed sobs. Rafael was upon her in an instant and scooped her up into his arms. She was too tired to fight anymore, too tired for anymore tears. Rafael simply held her as she lay limp in his strong arms. 

She fit so perfectly there, he thought to himself. Tucked into his chest hidden from the world, from anyone else that would hurt her. His one hand traveled down her arm and he noticed she was stiff. He glanced down and saw that she had her fists clenched on either side of her body. Rafael pulled away and grabbed at her hand inhaling sharply at site of her fingernails digging into her palms, so much so that they were actually coated with blood. He  pried them loose and traced over the nail shaped marks lightly with his finger tip.  

"No, Fiora, no." He whispered as emotion swelled up inside of him. 

Without thinking, Rafael tore two sections of his large sleeves and bandaged Fiora’s hands. She only winced once when he tied the knot but otherwise kept her eyes closed. Gently he laid her back against the pillows and pulled the sheets up over her slender frame. He could not bare to leave her just yet so he laid himself down upon the large bed. Rafael gathered her hands in his worried she would try to inflict injury upon herself once more. 

"No more pain sweet girl." He whispered into the dark room.

He had caused her so much pain and suffering, how would she ever come to love him back? 

_______________________________________________________________________

Longer Chapter this time guys! Proud of me? Alright it's not as long as it could be but I've uploaded twice a day as promised! As always leave me some feedback if you wouldnt mind <3