Bonus: Wedding

Today was the day.

I could hardly believe I was actually getting married, but here I was. Standing in front of the full body mirror in Diana's bedroom at her aunt Josephine's house.

I released a breath. The dress I was wearing was a pearly white a-line dress with lace shoulders and a cinched waist, and a skirt that fell in layers. My makeup was simple and consisted of mascara, shiny nude lipstick and gold eyeshadow.

And in walked Diana Barry herself.

It had been a week after the proposal that I had asked her to be my maid of honor. We had gone into town to go shopping, and as we were standing in the bread aisle I said, Diana, you have always been by my side. I would love it if you would stand beside me as I get married.

Stood shocked still, it was fifteen seconds until she screamed in my face and started jumping around.

"Yes, yes, yes!" And she tackled me in a hug. We had to grab a new loaf of bread.

Now she stood behind me, her raven black hair falling in perfect waves down her shoulders, dressed in a deep blue chiffon gown. Her smile shines radiantly in the reflection of the mirror.

"You look stunning, Anne." She said softly.

"As do you, my princess Diana."

She laughed and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

"It's almost time."

There was a knock on the door as Marilla walked in. Her and Diana shared a smile, and Diana put a comforting hand on my shoulder before leaving me with my mother.

"Matthew... Matthew would have loved to see this moment."

My breath caught in my throat, and I knew the same was happening to her.

"I found this in his room. It had a note on top of it that said 'for Anne.' I think he meant it for an occasion such as this." Marilla said, revealing an intricately carved wooden box from behind her back.

I opened it carefully, not quite sure how to react to whatever may be in it. There were tears gathering in my eyes but I wouldn't let them fall.

It was a pristine strand of pearls.

There was a small note tucked underneath the necklace. I pulled it out and read his slanted, untidy handwriting.

I saw this necklace on display at an antique shop that was closing down. When I bought it, the lady told me it had been an heirloom to a dying princess, many years ago. I wished to give the necklace to the only princess I ever knew.
You, my brave Anne.

Marilla handed me a tissue to dab my eyes with. I blinked many times over before setting the note back into the box and grabbing the pearl necklace.

"Will you put it on for me?" I asked Marilla. She nodded, swallowing thickly and taking the dainty strand from my hands.

She stepped behind my and clasped the necklace at the base of my neck, continuing to smooth out my dress over my shoulders.

"He's always with us, Anne. He's here with us now, you know? I can almost hear him crying outside this door, preparing himself to walk you down the aisle."

I brushed my fingers softly over the pearls.

"I can almost hear it, too."

There was another knock at the door. I made sure there were no more tears in my eyes. It was either Diana or Ruby, and either one would kill me on sight if I smeared my makeup.

Wild Ones (shirbert)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara