1: Strangers Together

⚠warning, this whole chapter is a flashback, sorry not sorry⚠

No ones p.o.v

Flashback;
It was a fateful day during sophomore year. The sun was finally shining and the snow was peeling off the ground. Mrs barry, Diana's mom, told Anne, Diana Ruby, and Jane to study their books. Right now they were all reading Elaine. Oh, how Anne loved that book. Suddenly, an idea struck her. She told the others about it and they all started towards the pond. They were going to act out a certain part of Elaine.  First off, they had to decide who would be who, and how to not spoil the effect. Anne ended up being Elaine, Diana was Lancelot, Ruby was gwinevere and Jane was Arthur. Anne laid in the bottom of the boat and they kissed her silent brows. After this, they pushed Anne out into the pond. What none of them knew, including Anne, was that when the host was shoved it caught slightly on a bar that was hidden in the water which ended up putting a hole in the boat. Anne was about halfway to the bridge when she finally found out. She tried dumping out the water with her hands, but to no avail. It was coming in faster than she could shovel. When she thought, finally, that it was no use, she stood and waited to get close enough to the bridge to jump onto it. Once she got close enough, this is exactly what she did. She almost fell off in the process, but grabbed onto the knots in the wood as hard as she possibly could. After probably ten minutes the boat had sunk completely and there Anne stood, holding on to the bridge for 'dear life' as she would have said. Soon enough her hands started aching and right as she was abou to slip, she saw another boat coming straight for the part of the bridge that she was clinging to. I'd course it had to be Gilbert. Why couldn't it have been someone else? Anyone?' Anne thought to herself as she recognized who was in the boat.  'Well, at least there is someone.' instead of holding on to the knots she started hugging the post as much as she could and moved to a position from which she could enter the boat. "Need any help?" Gilbert asked with a mischievous grin on his face. "What does it look like?!" Anne snapped back as she dropped into the boat. "Not even a thank you? You could have drowned if it weren't for me." Gilbert asked. "Drowning would have been better than ever having to tell you thank you." Anne replied, not making eye contact, but instead looking out over the lake. "Would you mind taking me back to the docks so I can assure everyone that I'm alright?" Anne asked gilbert, still not making eye contact. "Why would I ever say no to someone so beautiful as you?" he said, obviously trying to flirt with her. Anne was having none of it. Once they reached the docks Gilbert got out with Anne. "Hey, Anne. Please can we just be friends? It feels awfully lonely not to be. I promise that if we are friends, we will still battle academically. I'm not letting that go. But please, friends?" Gilbert ranted on and put a hand on her arm to stop her.
Although him calling her beautiful had no effect on her, this gesture made her blush. 'Why am I blushing?!! I don't like him. No, I hate him.' Anne turned her head to hide the blush. As much as she wanted to say yes, she couldn't. It would ruin her friendship with Ruby. 'Wait did I just think that I actually wanted to say yes?' she thought. The only word she could say, the one she had been saying for years, was no. So that is what she said. "No." one simple no shall do it, she thought. When Gilbert heard her utter this one word, it seemed to shatter his heart in a million pieces. 'Who knew one word could hurt so much?' he thought. Anne pulled her arm close to her body and trolled off towards green gables, all the while thinking of why she didn't just say yes. It would have uncomplicated so much, but she couldn't bring herself to do it, because of one petty friendship. Meanwhile, Gilbert was left behind, kicking every stone he could, thinking what he could have done wrong. From then on, Anne swore that they would be strangers forever, strangers together.

Ok so what do you guys think? To me, this is really fun and interesting to write, even though I just started. Do y'all like it?
~chloe