2: apologizing gone wrong.

''Everyone knew, they were meant for each other.''

Anne's p.o.v
Ever since that day at the pond she couldn't stop thinking about Gilbert. For the first couple days after the incident she wanted to apologize for being so rude to him. She wanted to be friends. But when she got the courage to apologize and when she knew exactly what to say, it all went horribly wrong.

She walked up to the blythes house and knocked on the door. Once. Twice.

But when the door opened it wasn't Gilbert standing there. It was a woman, putting sheets over the furniture like no one lived there. But that wasn't true, was it?

Actually, it was. Gilbert had left the day before, and had already started working on a ferry. Anne couldn't apologize now.
Oh, what was she going to do? She felt horribly about not apologizing earlier. 'Oh, this is most tragical.' she thought to herself. 'What am I supposed to do? This is agony. Complete and utter agony. The guilt is horrible. Especially since Ruby hates me anyways. It was all Josie Pyes doing, I bet. I am a fool.' she thought as she walked back to green gables. 'Wait a second, why do I even want to apologize to Gilbert? He called me carrots. Oh, thinking that isn't making this any better. In fact, its making it worse. What am I supposed to do? Perhaps I should ask Marilla. She would know what to do. Yes, that's what I shall do.' her thoughts kept going on and on, they seemed endless. Soon enough she reached green gables and she practically burst through the door. She looked around for marilla, and like usual, found her in the kitchen. "Marilla! Oh, marilla! I have the most tragic news. Gilbert Blythe has gone away to work on a ferry. How am I supposed to apologize to him now?! The guilt is more than I can bear!" Anne said in despair. "Well, now. I suppose you could write to him. You're good with words, Anne." Matthew says before Marilla could say anything. "Well that's what I was going to say. Head on up stairs and get cleaned for supper. Once you've finished with that you can start on your letter to Gilbert. If you have it done by tomorrow morning, I can ship it off when I go to carmody in the afternoon." Marilla tells Anne. Almost instantly, she's up the stairs and brushing through her knotted hair. "I'm glad I found a way to apologize. Well, technically, it was Marilla and Matthew, but still. I don't think I could have lived with the guilt, Katy. I'm not sure how I hadn't thought of just writing to him, what with all my imagination. Oh, how I miss you." Anne said, to her mirror. She swore that a little girl named Katy lived there. Most people would have thought she was crazy if they saw that scene, and some do anyways. But Matthew, Marilla and Diana all knew the truth. That she let her imagination run wild when she was alone, or even with someone else. To her, it didn't really matter. She went down for supper when she was done cleaning herself up. "Smells amazing as always, Marilla." Anne complimented the same old soup dinner. "You seem awfully chipper tonight. What's on your mind?" Marilla asked, completely ignoring the same old compliment. "Oh, I'm trying to think of what I'm going to say to Gilbert when I write to him later. I've thought of nothing. But, oh, I'm trying." Anne told her, and now it was obvious she was trying to be happy. "Well, why don't you tell him what you were going to say face to face?" Marilla asked, totally not getting why she didn't just didn't do this. It seemed so simple. "Because that was strictly for a face to face conversation, and I only knew the starting words, not knowing what he would say back. Its different when writing a letter." Anne finished off as Matthew walked through the door. The conversation was left hanging in the air when Marilla started getting a headache. They ate in an almost silence, which happened to be very hard for Anne. After dinner was done she washed the dishes and walked over to Marilla. "Goodnight, Marilla. Oh, I do hope you get better." Anne said as she enwrapped Marilla in a hug and kissed her cheek. "Goodnight Anne. Don't stay up to late writing that love letter, now. Go to bed when you can see the moon over the trees perfectly. It'll all happen in good time." Marilla said. "Goodnight Matthew. Sleep well." Anne says, waving to him as she walks up the stairs. "Goodnight." Matthew replied. Anne changed into her nightgown and moved her dest to the side of her bed. She placed a piece of paper in the middle of the desk and grabbed a pencil and touched its tip to the paper.

Well, that's the end of yet another chapter. Hope you enjoyed it. Yes, I know its short, and I'm sorry about that. I forgot part of what I was going to write so I ended up writing something else. The next chapter will have what she writes, and possibly what he writes.
~Chloe