- Chapter 12 -

When they arrived at the camp hidden in the caves of the Galičica mountain on the other side of Lake Prespa, Jovan had to admit that he was impressed. He was part of the Navy Seals. Well, he used to be a Navy Seal - he corrected himself, again. But, nonetheless... The camp was so well hidden that someone unaware of its location would have passed by the entrances to the caves without realizing it. The entrances were hidden by walls of branches, fallen trees, and yes, waterfalls that had frozen over in the winter air.

Kinga advised them to leave their horses at the foot of the mountain, far from the entrances to the caves. They waited until the cold December day began to bid farewell to the evening sun, so that they would not be discovered or be seen entering the caves. As they made their way through a long passage, Jovan began to wonder if they were lost, or just disorientated. However, after what seemed an eternity in the darkness, he began to see a dimmed light appear before them.

Once they reached the narrow opening in the wall about two meters high, they stopped. Jagoda pointed Jovan in the direction of stone stairs leading all the way down to the ground level of the vast but poorly lit cave. Jovan was used to toughening it out. He was built for the rigorous and rigid conditions. He was built for the uncompromising fight for the good of the people and the country. But the reality of what the camp looked like made him realize just how devoted people were to the late Lala Şahin Pasha. And how much his followers believed that Jagoda was his rightful, and innocent, heir.

"Too scared of what You see?" Kinga stood behind Jovan and bumped his shoulder lightly as she passed him by.

"No such thing. Just impressed." Jovan replied in the old Macedonian dialect without looking at her.

"Impressed? By what? The limited number of our people?" Kinga said in a barely noticeable sarcastic tone as she stopped and looked back at him, trying to decipher his response.

"On the contrary. The number of people who do the right thing seldom conveys their capabilities or their determination to fight," Jovan said in one breath. He walked past Kinga, and caught up with Jagoda as she made her way down the stairs.

"What did I tell You? I picked the best nickname for him, didn't I? Valiant fits him to a 'T'!" Anil indicated happily to Kinga and rushed after Jovan.

"We will see..." Kinga murmured to herself. She had met too many candidates who tried to impress Jagoda, or her father to get to her, just to steal the crown for themselves. She promised Jagoda's father long ago to protect her and his legacy. And she intended to fulfill that promise at all cost.

Jagoda spent a better part of that evening introducing Jovan to everyone at the camp. She also spent a better part of that night explaining the camp's purpose and its conditions to him. She could see he was impressed, but at the same time baffled at the way the warriors were taught to fight. Or rather, how to fight back.

"You lead a great group of people," Jovan told Jagoda as they sat down beside candles that were half-melted by now.

"Oh, there's little to say about my leadership abilities. These people loved my father, and believed in his leadership. We were all shaken by the news of his death. Our territory was divided into parts after his passing because outside forces took advantage of Our current situation. I merely hope to unite Our people together so that they have something to believe in again." Jagoda said and tried to smile. But she couldn't, because the memories of her father came flooding her mind.

"You know, Your voice changes when You speak like that," Jovan said and pointed at her.

"Like what?" Jagoda replied, unsure of herself.

"Like a Sultana ready to fight for a just cause." Jovan sighed, feeling a jab in his heart when she smiled back at him.

"Well, I do like a good fight. It's the princess part that I have a problem with," Jagoda admitted wholeheartedly, silently aware that Jovan was the only man she felt comfortable with speaking about her thoughts and doubts.

"I know people who fight for what's right and get burned. You? You do not seem to be bothered by the severity of the threat. That in itself is commendable," Jovan said in a tone of voice that got to her.

"On the contrary, my dear Jovan. It is not because I am not bothered by the severity of the threat. It is because I am fully aware of the consequences of what could happen if the dark sides take over Our land." She paused, saddened at the thought.

"You mean, Your sisters?" Jovan asked, even before he could think.

"You may say that. But, as with every line of succession, my father's legacy must follow certain guidelines if either one of us three wanted to become his rightful heir," Jagoda said as she looked away from him and into the flame of the candle burning beside them.

"There's more to it than beating Your sisters in a battle of thumbs war?" Jovan laughed when Jagoda shot him a suspicious glance.

"What is a thumbs war?" Jagoda narrowed her eyes at him, which caused him to laugh.

"Give me Your hand," Jovan announced and extended his hand to her.

"I beg Your pardon?" She replied, not only suspicious of him but also appalled at his request.

"I need Your hand. Trust me on this. You asked what a thumbs war was. I can't explain it. I have to show it to You", Jovan smiled again, and took her hand in his hand before she was able to extend it fully. He showed her a few moves, and felt the muscles relax in her hand after they battled out a few rounds. It was all in the name of fun and good sportsmanship until Jagoda let out a laugh that turned his gut into tight knots.

"That was a fair victory!" Jagoda exclaimed, visibly happier and confident in her quickly acquired skills.

"Let's just call it beginner's luck," Jovan replied as he patiently allowed her to hold his hand, with her thumb atop his.

"You're just sad because I won." She continued to smile, unaware of what it evoked in Jovan.

"I think my ego can handle a little defeat from a Sultana," Jovan grinned and tried to sound witty.

"How about a Sultana that not only has to defeat her sisters, but also must marry in order to inherit the title for the good of her people?" Jagoda whispered shyly and cautiously, and felt the hand holding hers tighten its grip considerably...