- Chapter 13 -

Whatever Jovan could say about Anil, the man was definitely a Jack of All Trades. He knew everyone, he was liked by everyone, and he definitely knew his way around the camp. Since they were confined within the walls of the caves in the heart of the Galičica mountain for the last week or so, it was hard for Jovan to pinpoint the hours of the day. Or even the time of the day altogether. But Anil? Somehow the man knew it perfectly. It made Jovan think that he was either a genius, or the best liar this side of the moon. It also made it clear that if anyone could answer questions about Jagoda, it would be Anil.

Jovan decided to wait for the most opportune time. He did not want to be perceived as a nosy man. He also did not want to reveal to anyone that he was slowly developing feelings for Jagoda. So, he waited until Kinga organized another daily training session. As usually, the warriors in the camp were divided into groups. Jagoda, Kinga, and few other men took leadership of the groups, and Anil was one of them. Conveniently, Jovan decided to stay by Anil's side because he knew that neither Jagoda or Kinga would hear them.

He began with questions that were innocent, and not related to Jagoda at all. Since praise and flattery were a way to get Anil to talk, Jovan knew exactly how to get Anil to open up.

"You lead a great group of warriors, Anil," Jovan commented to Anil as they stood in front of a group of warriors who had been training offense.

"You noticed it, too? I do happen to possess that flawless quality," Anil beamed with pride hearing Jovan's words. He pulled at his barely-there beard as if it were meters-long.

"I was referring to the group of warriors in front of us, but You are pretty great at what You do as well. They listen to You," Jovan pointed out and grinned.

"They know who they are dealing with. My abilities to train these men comes from years of fighting alongside Our beloved Lala Şahin Pasha. He was a great man," Anil said with obvious admiration for Jagoda's father.

"So You knew Jagoda's father well?" Jovan asked.

"Of course I did. He was a great leader. On and off the battlefield. He could size up an opponent in a blink of an eye. He could figure out the weakest link of the army, and how to attack there first." Anil spoke with his head held high.

"That's a great strategy. Get the snake to chase its own tail instead of attacking," Jovan grinned.

"That was one of his best strategies," Anil grinned as well.

"So these warriors were a part of his army?" Jovan pointed toward the warriors.

"Yes, and no. Most of them were. But some of Us are men and women who believe in Jagoda and in her innocence. There is no way she was responsible for her father's untimely end. It was her sisters' conniving sick plan. And, sadly, part of their plan was to undermine the truth itself," Anil shivered at the mere mention of Jagoda's sisters.

"Are her sisters as bad as I have been hearing?" Jovan leaned in closer toward Anil as he asked that question. He wanted to make sure that only Anil heard that part of the conversation.

"It is not a matter of being bad. It is a matter of justice. But if You ask me, You came across the right sister," Anil whispered this answer to Jovan's ear.

"Would You mind telling me the names of the other sisters?" Jovan asked quietly. "Just so I know for the future," he added quickly when Anil sized him up and down.

"I do not like mentioning their names, but since You asked. Their names are Zora and Zoja. Zora is the oldest one of them and most determined to obtain the rights to rule all the territories belonging to Our beloved Lala Şahin Pasha," Anil whispered quietly.

"So, You suspect she is behind framing Jagoda for her father's death?" Jovan asked but knew the answer already.

"It is not my place to say. But Your suspicion steers You in the right direction. Zoja lacks the brains to come up with it on her own. She also couldn't care less about Our people. But Zora... always considered Jagoda to be her rival and not her own sister," Anil said cautiously.

"Do they really look the same?" Jovan continued.

"Yes. And no. They are identical in appearance, but You will understand the differences between them if You spend two seconds with them," Anil replied bluntly.

"So, is there a way to tell them apart?" Jovan's interest grew when it appeared that Anil felt like talking.

"There is, for those with keen minds. I have known them since we moved here from Our homeland. Bojana was a close friend of Jagoda's mother when the mother was alive. She helped raise Jagoda. Bojana also helped my father obtain work as a blacksmith in the armory at the palace. That's how I got my training and education in weaponry, and how I got to know Jagoda and her sisters. Their differences become apparent in how they treat those around them," Anil explained with pride as the memories of his father came to his mind.

"No wonder You know so much about weapons and training," Jovan grinned and felt it was best to steer the conversation away from speaking about Jagoda going forward.

"Of course I do. And these men know it as well," Anil all but floated above the ground.

"Can I ask You something then? Why do they train to attack, but do not train in combat that much?" Jovan asked bluntly, and watched as Anil's self esteem burst like a bubble and he all but melted down to the ground.

"Well, who would want to train that? We are meant to attack. No one wants to spend time on prolonged fights with the enemy," Anil pretended to know what he was talking about.

"Even if it meant winning the battle?" Jovan raised his eyebrow at Anil.

"Well, umm. No one trained us that way," Anil took his eyes off Jovan and yelled out a couple of commands at the men who stopped training for a moment.

"Understood," Jovan replied, but immediately narrowed his eyes at Anil when the man looked at him with a happy grin.

"You are brilliant!" Anil exclaimed.

"I am?" Jovan replied, surprised.

"I waited for You to step up!" Anil exclaimed again.

"Step up where?" Jovan replied, surprised even more.

"To train these warriors! I've seen how You trained with Jagoda at Bojana's hut." Anil patted Jovan so hard on the back that Jovan felt it down to his boots.

"And they would listen to a newcomer?" Jovan asked bluntly, suddenly aware of what was coming his way.

"You bet! It would be an honor for them to be trained by Jovan the Valiant!" Anil exclaimed again as the men before them began to cheer...