- Chapter 15 -

The week that had gone by brought on a new sense of pride in the warriors of the camp. And in Jovan as well. What began as an ambitious attempt to teach a small group of 14th century warriors the art of one-on-one combat quickly evolved into training of all the warriors in the camp. And not only warriors. Women and children in the camp also began to train Jovan's techniques just in case they ever needed it.

Intrigued by Jovan's style of fighting, Kinga had to admit that even she was impressed by how quickly the men picked up and learned their new combat skills. She couldn't help but see that Jovan was not only able to get to the warriors' minds, but also to their hearts. Somehow the men seemed more eager to fight, more confident in their skills, and more sure of their victory. And that was something she could not overlook. She just hoped that Jovan did it for the right reasons, and not for his own benefit. Still suspicious of him, Kinga decided to test her theories when it came to his intentions. She waited until the end of the training one day, and approached Jovan with a seemingly innocent question.

"Do You think that the skills You have taught Our warriors will help them in the long run?" Kinga asked him bluntly as they walked slowly around the cave.

"I do. But so do You," Javan replied without looking at Kinga.

"You seem sure of Yourself." Kinga raised her eyebrow at Jovan.

"I do. But so do You," he replied and grinned when Kinga rolled her eyes.

"Why doesn't Your answer surprise me? I told Jagoda that Your limited thinking skills do not surpass those of a wild boar." Kinga said sarcastically, but she smiled nonetheless.

"You talk about me?" Jovan looked her way now, amused by her words.

"Only as a last necessity." Kinga moved her shoulders.

"So, talking about me is a necessity?" Jovan smiled, ear to ear, showing the full set of his pearly whites.

"Wild boar, is what You are, Valiant." Kinga chuckled, unable to suppress it.

"At Your service. Wild boar or Valiant, it is evident that these men are now better prepared for the battle, or battles, ahead of us," Jovan pointed toward the warriors enjoying an early supper after long hours of training.

"That is true. But do not forget that they trained with You and took Your word only because they see that Jagoda trusts You. Loyalty and trust weigh heavy in Our people's hearts," Kinga grew serious. And as a result, so did Jovan.

"So it does in mine," he replied in a grim voice.

"Jagoda tells me that You were accused of deeds You were not guilty of because You chose to follow the path of righteousness." Those words made Jovan turn toward Kinga, and she knew she had found her answer to her doubts. The light of honesty burned bright in Jovan's eyes.

"I was brought up to trust in justice. To do what is right. No matter the consequences," Jovan looked at Kinga. It surprised him to see that his words calmed her down instead of angering her.

"You are a good man, Jovan the Valiant". Kinga nodded, narrowing her eyes on him.

"Why doesn't it sound like it's a good thing, coming from You?" Jovan narrowed his own eyes at Kinga.

"It is. It is also my job to make sure that those close to Jagoda can be trusted," she leaned back on the rock that had become Jovan's favorite in the cave.

"You think I am close to Jagoda?" He asked, intrigued.

"Only a fool would be blind not to see it. But, it is not for me to say so. She trusts You. Our men trust You. And Bojana trusted You as well." Kinga crossed her arms at her chest, sizing Jovan up and down.

"So why don't You trust me?" Jovan asked her bluntly again.

"You are a wild boar. I find it baffling to trust a forest animal with limited cognitive skills." She replied and laughed when Jovan grinned at her.

"Now that is a compliment I can stand by," he laughed.

"That makes two of us. Now, I do have something I wanted to ask You," Kinga stood from leaning back against the rock and crossed over to him.

"All right," Jovan retorted, anticipating that the question would not be an easy one. "Ask away."

"Why away?" Kinga asked, baffled.

"Why away what?" Jovan asked, baffled as well.

"You said to ask away", Kinga tipped her head to the side, seriously contemplating Jovan's thought process.

"Oh," he chuckled, unable to stop himself. "This is what we say where I come from."

"I won't dwell on it then. I had come to ask You a favor. Today is Jagoda's birthday. I would not mention it if it wasn't important to her." Kinga said and waited for his reaction.

"Oh. What do You need?" Jovan asked.

"She does not celebrate her birthday, for her own reasons. But it matters to her when someone acknowledges it. I wanted to ask if You could give her Your well wishes. That's all," Kinga turned and began to walk away.

"What is her favorite color?" Jovan asked, intrigued by Kinga's words.

"Who would bother to choose a color, and to think of it as a favorite on top of it?" Kinga raised both of her eyebrows at Jovan's words.

"Nevermind. I will think of something." Jovan nodded as Kinga walked away. He rubbed his beard, and went to see the blacksmith immediately.

Later that evening, those gathered in the caves within the Galičica Mountain enjoyed a time filled with laughter, stories of the good old days that have passed, and words of praise and good wishes directed at Jagoda. Though she did not celebrate the day she had been born, she did appreciate the fact that those around her remembered. And she waited for one man to come to her with wishes of good health for the coming year. She waited the entire day, but the longer she waited, the more sad she grew that he would not do so.

Jagoda all but lost her hope, when Jovan came to her late in the evening. He asked if she would not mind walking out of the cave with him. Baffled, she agreed to his request. Unsure of his motives, but with full trust in her heart, she followed him as they made their way to the entrance closest to the Galičica Mountain's summit.

Little did they know that when they would return, they would do so with a new light burning in their hearts...