- Chapter 30 -

Jovan often wondered about peculiarities of life, especially after his parents passed away when he was just a child. His contemplation on life only intensified the day his beloved grandmother Bojana left him in a rather abrupt way. He began to understand the value of honesty and pure intentions, but most importantly he began to understand that deceipt had no place in his life.

The oddest thing about deceit, in Jovan's eyes, was the fact that those who deceived others always assumed they would not be caught, that they would not be discovered bending the truth into their own mold of reality, and that they would be free to run on their half-truths for as long as they saw fit - or necessary. That's why Jovan considered deceit to be one of the worst vices of human nature. Likewise, he considered deceit to be one of the most obvious of vices, if someone was wise enough to know where to look for its evidence.

He wasn't a fool.  He did not dismiss that nagging feeling down in his gut that something wasn't right the moment he kissed Jagoda in the cell when he reached her. It wasn't just a hunch. It was the lack of that gleam in her eyes that Jovan had come to long for. And most certainly the lack of any feelings whatsoever in their kiss. The fact that Anil confirmed his suspicion about Jagoda made Jovan all the more convinced that Zora was the most evil woman he ever came across in his life. And it made him that much more... determined.

As he leaned back against the cave wall, Jovan spoke cautiously with Anil and watched as Kinga embraced her supposed best friend. He was already devising a plan which Zora would never have suspected. Why? Because he realized that Zora had one weakness - she underestimated her opponents.

"You are a very odd man, Jovan The Valiant," Anil sized his companion up and down but kept a grin on his face for good measure.

"Took You a long time to figure that one out, didn't it?" Jovan replied and continued to grin without taking his eyes off the woman who pretended to be his beloved and the protector of justice of the land they were trying to defend.

"I knew it long ago," Anil shook his head while trying his best not to reveal his feelings in the tone of his voice. "But I just cannot fathom how You can stand here so calmly, knowing Zara is among Us, all the while not knowing where she imprisoned Our beloved Jagoda?"

"How?" Jovan asked and leaned in closer toward Anil, making sure to smile each time his beloved's impostor looked their way. "That's simple. Just knowing with full certainty that this woman is here, I worry less about what she might do to Jagoda."

"That... makes sense somehow," Anil narrowed his eyes. "How come You always end up making sense of things whenever I seem to think that You lost Your mind?"

"Because, my dear rabbit friend, confusion is the path to clarity," Jovan chuckled and patted Anil's back. "And it confuses the opponent."

"Just like playing dead when shot at with a poisoned arrow?" Anil could not resist commenting on his observation.

"Exactly," Jovan chuckled again.

"And yet, I cannot understand how You can deal with the fact that we don't know where Jagoda is being held captive?" Anil grew worried.

"That, my dear friend, is information I intend to find out," Jovan sighed and crossed his arms at his chest. "Where there is a will, there is always a way, Anil."

"I wonder who You will turn to for that information?" Anil asked. He pointed toward Zora and chuckled sarcastically. "She isn't just going to tell You where she hid Jagoda, that's for sure."

"Oh, she will," Jovan looked back at Zora and sent her a flirtatious smile. "She most definitely will."

"I knew there was a reason why You smell like a cheap version of the rakija liquor. You aren't just mad, You are drunk as well!" Anil looked at Jovan, shocked and surprised to say the least.