- Chapter 27 -

Coming up with a rescue plan oftentimes proved to be no easy task. But not to a trained and experienced Navy Seal. Even one discharged, without honors. Though others back at the Boyana Waterfall lamented and were ready to announce their defeat when news broke out about Jagoda's capture, Jovan kept his cool. He also knew perfectly well that he had to motivate others to do the same.

"You are taking this way too easy," Kinga approached Jovan late at night following their return from Sofia as he sat by the campfire that was burning softly by the blacksmith's station of the camp within the Boyana Waterfall cave.

"I am not taking this easy," Jovan replied with an ice cold temper simmering in the undertones of his words.

"Could have fooled me," Kinga fired back at him. She sat down across from him and placed her sword in her lap.

"I am not going to give up on Jagoda," Jovan turned to Kinga and saw Blagun approaching them.

"No one will. The issue I see right now is that no one has any good ideas about rescuing her." And sadly, Kinga was convinced of the validity of her words.

"I do," Jovan responded without looking at Kinga. The only thing he saw was the fire before him, and its flames dancing and disappearing into thin air. And Jagoda's face in them.

"Sure You do. Why am I not surprised? Need I remind You that Your last plan failed miserably?" Kinga pointed out, and had to suck the air in when Jovan shot her a warning look.

"Please enlighten me which part of MY plan consisted of Jagoda going against what we told her to do, and getting captured?" Jovan all but hissed the words out.

"The part where You did not anticipate her doing so," Kinga replied, unimpressed by Jovan's temper.

"And I anticipated being shot by a poisoned arrow and meeting all of You?" Jovan narrowed his eyes, mocking her.

"Easy. You'll take each other out instead of fighting against Zora," Blagun chimed in. He sat down beside Kinga, across from Jovan, and contemplated whether he chose the best seat.

"He's right," said the blacksmith, sitting behind the counter of his makeshift station, not far from them.

"We have to work together now. Most importantly, we have to show a united front. We cannot bicker over whose fault it was that Jagoda acted like the leader that she is and followed her instinct," Blagun continued.

"Pretty boy over here has a point," Jovan pointed toward Blagun, and chuckled under his breath when Blagun shot him a piercing gaze.

"Who are You calling pretty? I am a mighty warrior!" Blagun exclaimed.

"Oh, stop it, pretty boy," Kinga patted Blagun's knee, thereby fizzling any temper within his veins, and grinned at him. "Valiant was agreeing with You. We need to stick together now more than ever."

"Fine. But no one better dare to call me pretty again," Blagun replied in a sulking voice, which no longer carried any temper at all since the moment Kinga patted his knee.

"Got it, sweet face," Kinga winked at him and looked back at Jovan. "What's Your plan?"

"I go in alone." And he meant it.

"Even a wild boar has more brains that this," Kinga replied but was no longer angry. Jovan picked up on that immediately.

"Hear me out before You pass judgment," Jovan  leveled with her.

"Alright. As I have asked before: what is Your plan? In its entirety?" Kinga inclined her head toward him.

"I go in alone. I know the floor plan of the Fortress now. Which way to get in. Which way to get out. I am aware of the guard posts and the way to the dungeons by now. Zora is expecting a mobilized attack to free Jagoda. She is not going to expect an intrusion by a single man." Saying those words made Jovan believe he actually stood a chance of rescuing his beloved Jagoda.

"Not bad, Valiant." Kinga nodded. The men were surprised, and even the blacksmith raised his eyebrows at her response.

"What, no objection?" Jovan asked bluntly.

"None," Kinga smiled at him. "Just a question."

"And that would be?" Jovan could hardly believe that Kinga actually contemplated going along with his plan.

"What do You need for the plan to succeed?" Her question caused Blagun to tighten the grip on his sword.

"A guardsman's clothes. This way I will be able to blend in. And, since I will go in alone, I won't have to worry about being mistaken for a traitor," Jovan grinned at her.

"How much time would You need to prepare?" Blagun asked.

"I don't need time. I just need a guardsman's uniform. I could be ready tomorrow morning. Zora will anticipate an attack, that is true. If You can mobilize a sizable group of warriors on the other side of Sofia, this would give her a place to turn her eyes to." Jovan said. He narrowed his eyes when he saw Kinga and Blagun look at one another, in understanding and in perfect unison. And the fact that she still kept her hand on his knee did not escape Jovan's keen observation either.

"So, does this mean we finally get to attack as an army?" Blagun asked, excited.

"Not at all," Jovan replied and shook his head. "You will just have to create a diversion."

"Bollocks!" Anil exclaimed and appeared to come out of nowhere.

"Look at him! Takes one villain out and now he's thirsty for more!" Jovan bellowed out a laugh and patted Anil on the back as the man sat down beside him.

"That's right! I finally feel the rush in my blood to fight! To be a warrior! To show I am Anil the Brave!"
Anil exclaimed and rose with his fist up in the air.

"Great!" Jovan grinned. "You will wear my kaftan so they think I am among the warriors, ride in the front line, and act like a leader for Our brave men!"

"What???" Anil all but choked at Jovan's words. He sat back down and bowed his shoulders.

"What happened, Anil the Brave?" Blagun grinned from ear to ear. "Afraid of little horseback riding?"

"I... no. I just... I'm shorter than Jovan. The kaftan will not fit me the way it fits Jovan. That's... all," Anil replied with obvious signs of fear in his eyes.

"Remain calm, dagger wielder," Jovan patted Anil's back once more. "You don't have to fight anyone. We just need to make Zora believe that I will be among those trying to rescue Jagoda by invading the city. Kinga and Blagun will ride alongside You."

"If You put it that way... Anything for Jagoda." Anil breathed a sigh of relief.

"Then it is settled," Jovan turned to Kinga.

"It would appear so," she replied and turned to Blagun. "Round up a group of about 40 warriors, and the fastest horses we have. We have to make the numbers appear sizable enough for Zora to think the attack would be legitimate."

"Understood. I would suggest riding by day this time. We will wait for Jovan to leave in the morning, and will depart for Sofia by noon. Let's make Ourselves visible, loud, and obvious. Zora will have to acknowledge Our attack, and it will also make the villagers and onlookers see Us. The word will spread quickly across the lands. This may prove quite beneficial for Us in the long run," Blagun advised them with such positive authority that it caused Jovan to admire the man's devotion to Jagoda and the people whose freedom they were fighting for.

After Jovan bid good night to his companions, he stepped outside to look up at the moon. He needed it, for his own strength, and for the courage he needed to build up in him. The moonlight reminded him of Jagoda. It reminded him of the light in her eyes, it reminded him of the way moonlight caressed her skin, and of the way the pendant he had given to Jagoda reflected their love in it.

Jovan closed his eyes for a moment. He held the pendant in the palm of his hand, and swore that he would do everything in his power to place the necklace in its rightful place by next moonlight. Around Jagoda's neck. Regardless of the danger he would soon come to face...