- Chapter 25 -

For a man used to roughing it out, the journey from the Galičica mountain to the Boyana Waterfall showed Jovan how tough the conditions could truly be for a 14th Century warrior. It also showed him how determined his companions were. They rode their horses rather by night, in an attempt not to attract unwanted attention, and rested in hidden parts of the forests by day. He was a well trained soldier, capable and willing to manage stress, pain, and tough conditions, but his body ached like never before.

It took them three nights to arrive at the Boyana Waterfall. At first, Jovan had doubted Anil's assumption regarding the length of their journey, but traveling by horse, and only by night, looked much different than it did in the 21st century. The moment they arrived by the foot of the Waterfall, Jovan's heart began to pound in his chest. Not because he was tired. It was because of what he saw. The half-frozen waterfall he was looking at seemed eerily similar to the one he saw in his dream in which Bojana came to him. In fact, it was the same waterfall. He realized its familiarity when his eyes wandered to the side of the Waterfall, toward the entrance to the caves hidden behind the Waterfall.

"Breathtaking, isn't it?" Anil asked because he saw Jovan's face.

"You have no idea," Jovan replied, looking up toward the top of the Waterfall.

"We dismount here. We will have to walk the horses inside. Stay close to Your horse so that they don't get too spooked by the darkness of the tunnel. There is a cave next to the one we have set up camp, where the horses will wait until we return," Blagun announced, and everyone listened.

"I still find it quite baffling why we have to leave the horses here, and not ride them toward the Ulpia Serdica Fortress?" Anil almost pouted his lips.

"We want to stay invisible for as long as possible, remember?" Jovan nudged Anil as they waited for their turn to enter the cave. "And, if memory serves me, You are not going to be the one heading to Sofia, correct?"

"Unfortunately!" Anil exclaimed with silent over-gesture, though he could not hide his grin. At least not from Jovan.

"I agree. It will be such a shame that You won't be able to showcase Your spectacular warrior skills," Jovan grinned at Anil.

"My sentiment exactly!" Anil agreed wholeheartedly to prove his statement.

"You know, if You are so eager to fight, I can try to convince Jagoda to let You join us when we depart for Sofia," Jovan nudged Anil as their turn to enter the caves was approaching.

"No!" Jagoda said, a bit too loudly right behind them. It startled Anil, but puzzled Jovan. "I mean, he must stay at the Waterfall and keep me company. I cannot bear the thought of staying behind while all of You go."

"As You wish, Sultana," Jovan replied to her and inclined his head.

"Maybe next time, maybe next time," Anil said more to himself than to Jagoda and Jovan, and it made them both turn their heads to look at him at the same time. Not wanting to speak any more, Anil patted his dagger and packed up his pace as he headed inside.

Jovan let everyone else pass him. He was aware of the fact that Jagoda would enter the cave last. It befitted a leader, and it would also make Jagoda feel better knowing that everyone had gone inside before the break of dawn.

"Are You alright?" Jovan asked Jagoda after Kinga went inside as the last of the warriors. They were alone, and he knew Jagoda would let her guard down a bit.

"Yes. No... How could I be?" She turned to him.

"Tell me why You feel that way? Talking about it helps, and eases the weight in the heart." Jovan stood close to her and caressed her cheek with his thumb.