CHAPTER NINE

- CHAPTER NINE -
"A BEST FRIEND IS THERE EVEN IN THE DARKEST MOMENTS."

"Thanks, Seth, for not answering your phone last night," Beth sarcastically spoke, harshly grabbing the keys to her rental car from the hotel table as he ate his complimentary breakfast

"Thanks, Seth, for not answering your phone last night," Beth sarcastically spoke, harshly grabbing the keys to her rental car from the hotel table as he ate his complimentary breakfast. Though the smells were delightful, Beth was in no mood to eat after the events the night before with Finn.

Mid-chew, the wrestler shrugged as he responded, "I was busy."

"You were fucking my sister, Seth. I'm no idiot," the quick-witted nature rising inside of Beth. Finn had brought that out of her during their months of training together.

Seth had almost choked on his mouthful of eggs as Beth spoke, not expecting such an honest answer from her as she usually filtered her words unless she was out in the ring. He was taken aback by her behavior, knowing that some other environmental force must have caused it.

Judging by the bags under her eyes, he knew he was right.

The brunette furrowed his eyebrows at the girl whom he considered a sister. "What happened to you last night?" he asked, concerned for her well-being.

Beth's brown eyes rolled at the boy. "What makes you think something bad happened?" she questioned, agitation evident in her voice. As much as she wanted to hide her emotions, Beth Lynch was not the girl who could do so. One way or another, she was an open book.

"Beth, no offense, but you look horrible. Did someone do something to you? Someone on the roster? I thought you promised to come to me if they gave you any trouble," Seth worried, Beth feeling as if he was staring daggers through her.

As much as she trusted him with everything, she could not tell him what was wrong. It had to be kept a secret from everyone—including Becky. Beth and Finn would always have to keep the secret of their youthful relationship because it was against the law. She wasn't an official adult when the two fell for one another.

This idea hurt Beth because she knew that Seth was going to be there for her. He always had been. He had proven himself worthy of her trust—yet she still had to keep the secret.

But that's what the problem was: Beth was always going to be Finn's dirty little secret.

Beth was prepared to live a life full of lies if it meant she could call herself Finn's. She was prepared to ruin every friendship she had for that man. How long will it take before she realizes that it's not worth it anymore? That she wasn't worth it to Finn?

Beth swallowed thickly at the thought. "I just—I didn't sleep well last night," she slightly lied, praying that Seth was too caught up in his breakfast to realize. Her hope was unsuccessful. Seth's brown eyes stared into her own as she recognized his look, wanting her to drop the veil.

Luckily, Becky saved the day.

"Good morning, babe," her Irish accent spoke as she kissed his forehead and ruffled his hair. Seth hesitantly turned his attention away from the girl he considered a sister to admire his girlfriend.