5| atychiphobia

Malaina

Malaina

CANDLEWOOD CAFE WAS by far my favourite place to go after school. After a long and stressful day, Aisha, Henry, and I would take the quick ten-minute walk to the petite and lively cafe.

It was an old cafe, the paint on the building chipping here and there, but it was well taken care of, and the imperfections added charm to the place. There were normally not too many people there, but still enough to make it comfortable.

As we walked towards the cafe I peered through the large glass windows to find that today the cafe seemed to be busier than usual.

The bells chimed as the door was pushed open by Aisha, who scanned the area for our usual sitting area, a small table near the back of the cafe. The place was bustling; orders were being placed, called out, and delivered.

The smell of coffee instantly woke me up and made my drooping eyes open wide with alertness.

Candlewood was filled to the brim with plants which were at every table and there were potted plants that dangled from the ceiling as well as strings of lights that illuminated the small building.

We put our belongings at the table, keeping a close eye on them as we made our way towards the short line that only consisted of an elderly woman that was trying to decide on what to buy and an impatient and annoyed man who waited in line behind her.

The old lady looked up in amazement at the variety of foods from flaky, buttery French croissants and rich lattes to premium-roast brewed coffee and cappuccino. She pointed a wrinkled finger in the air and pointed to each item on the menu, analysing every single one of them carefully.

"I'll have the caramel latte," she said, nodding her head at the cashier who began punching in the number for her order.

She stopped and waved her hands wildly. "Or maybe I'll have the espresso. On second thought the mocha is sounding very good-"

"For the love of God," the man in front of me groaned, tapping his foot against the ground impatiently. I narrowed my eyes even though he couldn't see me.

Suddenly the lady turned around and her kind eyes caught my attention.

"What do you think sweetie? Any good drinks around here?" she asked. I nodded and beamed at her.

Lucky for her I knew the menu like the back of my hand. I had been there so often that I had probably tried almost every drink and pastry the cafe had to offer."I highly recommend green tea. It's very calming and it'll warm you right up," I told her.

"Then I suppose I'll be having the green tea," she told the cashier, who looked at me full of gratitude as he entered the cash register.

After the grumpy man had finished ordering his black coffee, the three of us ordered our usuals: a caramel latte for Aisha, chamomile tea for Henry, and creamy hot chocolate for me.