8| cremophobia

Malaina

Malaina

I CHEWED ON the tip of my pencil, stared at the clock with utter frustration and counted down the minutes till it was lunch time. The feeling of anticipation kept me from sitting still in my seat and I was very close to completely zoning out on Mr. Anderson's lesson.

I had managed to get to class just in time and thankfully was able to quickly change into the extra school uniform I had kept in the back of my car. However, getting to class on time was the least of my worries as I tried to keep my rumbling stomach from erupting loudly.

I had skipped breakfast and the only food I had eaten the day before was a small piece of french toast and hot chocolate. I had planned on getting rid of the food from my system before Mateo had called me.

I hated this way of losing weight, making myself throw up every last bit of food I had eaten that day, sobbing on the floor of the bathroom minutes later. Mother didn't care. If she knew she would have even encouraged it.

I hadn't even told Aisha or Henry about it. I felt embarrassed, ashamed of how disgusting I was, how disgusting my body was.

I felt something touch my shoulder and it wasn't until I looked up into Aisha's warm but obviously concerned brown eyes that I realized I was daydreaming for such a long time.  "Hey, are you okay? You didn't even seem to notice that the bell rang plus you were almost late to class this morning," Aisha asked, as I closed my binder and pencil and followed her out the classroom.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I reassured her.

"Something...unusual happened last night. It's hard to explain but I'll be back to tell you later?" We stopped by our lockers to put our stuff away. I quickly put my binder on the top shelf and closed the door before leaning against it and waiting for Aisha.

"You're not coming with Henry and I for lunch? We were going to grab something at Candlewood."

I shook my head, ignoring the feeling of hunger that seemed to permanently  reside in my stomach. "No, but I'll call you tonight and fill you in on everything, I promise."

She sighed dramatically and rolled her eyes with mock exasperation as she closed her locker door.

"Fine," she said. "I'll just eat with Henry by myself. Want to stop by Candlewood for a drink after school tomorrow?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," I smiled and she grinned back, her white teeth flashing brightly. After seeing Aisha off, I quickly exited the school campus and found my car parked in the lot. The ride to the hospital was slightly longer because of the slow moving traffic, but  I felt more calm than I had the night before now that I knew Mateo was safe.

I watched the buildings around me become a slow kind of blur as I whizzed through the bustling city, weaving my way around buses, taxis, and other cars. New York was busy during this time of day, lunch hour was usually rush hour where everyone would take a small break off work and try to find a less crowded area to grab food.